• 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
• 4 boneless pork loin chops trimmed of fat
• 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into sticks
• 2/3 cup (150 ml) cranberry juice
• 2/3 cup (150 ml) chicken stock
• 1 piece preserved ginger, drained and cut into fine sticks
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) thick-cut orange marmalade
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) dry sherry
• 1 tsp (5 ml) Chinese five-spice powder
• 2 star anise
• 4 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
• Salt and fresh-ground black pepper
• 3 scallions, shredded
1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pork chops and brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side; transfer to plate and set aside.
2. Add onion and celery to oil remaining in Dutch oven and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Add sweet potato, cover pan, and sweat vegetables until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Stir in cranberry juice, stock, ginger, marmalade, sherry, five-spice powder, star anise and a little salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat and return pork to Dutch oven. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, re-cover Dutch oven, and simmer until tomatoes are lightly cooked, but still hold their shape, about 5 minutes.
Taste and add more salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve garnished with scallions.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Spiced Pork with Sweet Potatoes