• 25 g (half a can) anchovy fillets, drained
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) low-fat milk
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) olive oil
• 1 red onion, roughly chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
• 12 oz (350 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) bottled capers, rinsed
• 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
• 4 lean round steaks (about 4 oz/115 g each)
1. Lay anchovies flat in small dish, spoon over milk and leave to soak while you begin preparing sauce.
2. Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil in large, ridged frying pan, add onion and cook gently 3-4 minutes until soft.
3. Stir in garlic and chili pepper, then add tomatoes, capers and oregano. Drain and discard milk from anchovies, roughly chop anchovies and add to sauce. Stir and cook gently 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are lightly cooked. Tip sauce out into bowl and set aside while cooking steaks.
4. Rinse out pan and reheat. Brush steaks lightly on both sides with remaining oil and season with black pepper. Place steaks in hot pan and cook over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes per side for rare or 4-6 minutes per side for medium.
5. Pour sauce over steaks in pan and heat through, then serve.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Steak with Puttanesca Sauce