• 1-1/2 lb (750 g) new potatoes, scrubbed
• 4 large carrots, peeled
• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 5 oz/150 g each)
• 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) chopped fresh tarragon or 2 tsp (10 ml) dried tarragon
• 3/4 cup (175 ml) light sour cream
• 2/3 cup (150 ml) diluted salt-reduced chicken stock
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 4 scallions, finely chopped
1. Put potatoes in a pot of lightly salted boiling water. Bring back to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 7 minutes. Add carrots and simmer 5 minutes. Drain and leave until cool enough to handle.
2. Meanwhile, place chicken breasts in shallow dish. Mix oil, lemon juice and 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh tarragon (or 1 tsp/5 ml dried) with a little salt and pepper. Drizzle over chicken and turn to coat. Cover and set aside to marinate in refrigerator. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
3. Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Thinly slice carrots. Whisk sour cream into stock, then stir in garlic, scallions and half of remaining fresh tarragon or remaining 1 tsp (5 ml) of dried tarragon.
4. Roughly layer potatoes and carrots alternately in lightly greased, shallow ovenproof dish, spooning a little sour cream mixture over each layer. Finish with potato slices covered in remaining sour cream mixture. Cover dish with foil. Bake 35–40 minutes.
5. Arrange chicken on top of potatoes and re-cover with foil. Bake for 25–30 minutes until chicken is cooked through (the juices will run clear when chicken is pierced with a skewer). Scatter over the remaining tarragon.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Tarragon Chicken with Creamy Vegetables