A quick way to add fresh broccoli to your pasta is to cook it in the same water for a couple of minutes. You can use any of your favourite short pasta like shells, rotini or rigatoni for this pasta dish. You can also use leftover chicken or turkey for this weeknight meal.
Turkey And Broccoli Pasta
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) penne rigate pasta
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped fresh broccoli
- 6 oz (180 g) deli sliced roast chicken or turkey, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
1. In large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, garlic, oregano and chillies for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until thickened.
2. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water cook pasta for 8 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for 2 minutes or until pasta and broccoli are tender but firm. Drain and return to pot. Add tomato sauce, turkey, parsley and Parmesan and toss to coat.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: You can purchase flavoured chicken or turkey in the deli to add another hit of flavour to the pasta dish if desired.