Barack Obama will hand over the @POTUS account on Twitter, and its more than 13 million followers, to Donald Trump on Jan. 20:
- Obama has been called the “social media president” for becoming the first U.S. leader to have an @POTUS account.
- In 2015, President Obama sent his first tweet via @POTUS
- Obama’s 13 million followers track his @POTUS on a daily basis.
- The presidential account will add to Trump’s 20.3 million @realDonaldTrump followers.
- The account will keep the same followers, but all of Obama’s tweets will be deleted.
- A new account dubbed @POTUS44 will be created to catalog all the tweets sent during President Obama’s administration.