Weekend playlist: Dave P. of Making Time
The Making Time crew have a busy weekend ahead of them: In addition to their Friday night party at Voyeur, they’re also rolling out “Forever (Under) 21,” a brand-new all-ages night at the Barbary on Sunday. Factory Floor headline both with a live performance and, of course, the Making Time resident DJs will have you moving all night.
We asked Dave P. for five songs he’s psyched to play for you this weekend. He supplied us with six because, as he points out, Friday night is going strong until 4 a.m.
You hear that, Thursday??Move along already.
On his playlist
1. The Rapture: “Sail Away” The Rapture just recently released their best record yet, “In the Grace of Your Love.” I’m so stoked for them and I’m so stoked to have them playing Making Time for the fourth time on Friday, Oct. 21. “Sail Away” is my favorite track on the record, and is surely the Making Time anthem of the fall of 2011!
2. Teeth: “Flowers” Teeth are one of my favorite new bands of the year. We at Making Time like them so much that we flew them over from London to play our Making Time July 4 Weekend RAD-B-Q at Bamboo Bar. This is my favorite track off their recently released full-length, “Whatever.”
3. Daphni: “Yes, I Know” Daphni is a side project of Dan Snaith of Caribou. He put this track on a recent DJ mix he did for Resident Advisor earlier this year and I was so curious what it was. Well, he just sent it to me this week and I’m so stoked to play it out for the first time at Making Time!
4. Nirvana: TBA Well, I’m not going to say what Nirvana track I’m going to play because I don’t wanna give away the surprise, but last weekend was the 20th anniversary of “Nevermind” so … I have to play some Nirvana, no? Anyway, Nirvana will be played this weekend to celebrate one of the best records of all time!
5. Carte Blanche (DJ Mehdi & Riton): “5 THE MOLECULE” I’m dedicating this party and my set at this Making Time to DJ Mehdi, who passed away on Sept. 13. Mehdi was a true friend and one of the most incredible, positive, generous and loving people I’ve ever met in my life — along with one of the best DJs in the world. He was truly one of those people that you felt lucky to have in your life. He will be remembered at this Making Time and forever.
6. Gingy & Bordello: “Body Acid (Kink Acid mix)” About a year ago Jas Shaw from Simian Mobile Disco gave me a track from these relatively unknown producers. It was literally the biggest and best track I heard that year. Well, “Body Acid” is finally being released next month and Gingy & Bordello just sent me all the remixes. I thought the track couldn’t get any better but then Kink did this remix, which is gonna make 3:59 a.m. at Making Time very, very wild!
Follow Monica Weymouth on Twitter @MonicaatMetro.