Where to celebrate National Taco Day in NYC
There are two days a year when we can shamelessly inhale Mexican food: Cinco de Mayo and Cuatro de Octubre. Never heard of the latter? It’s National Taco Day, and it’s today. We’ve rounded up the top restaurants for this fiesta.
1. Tres Carnes (688 Sixth Ave., 212-989-8737) specializes in Texas smoked Mexican fare. They’re offering a Texican special tasting called “Pork 2 Ways.” Try one signature smoked and dry rubbed pork shoulder taco and one eight-hour smoked pork belly taco.
2. Pampano (209 E. 49th St., 212-751-4545) is offering its Taco Tuesday special this Friday from 5 p.m. until close in the Botaneria. In addition, they’ll be giving out a free taco with every purchase. Choose from chilorio (pulled pork), tinga (chicken), or rajas con queso (vegetarian).
3. Maya Modern Mexican Kitchen and Tequileria (1191 1st Ave, 212-585-1818) is serving up six tacos for $10 with a discounted taco sampler. Need we say more? We will: salsa’s included.
4. Sembrado (432 E. 13th St., 212-729-4206) Chef Danny Mena is extending happy hour all day long. His signature Tacos al Pastor will be discounted to $2.50 each. Sembrado focuses on tacos al carbon: tacos with a specialized style of natural, hormone-free, grilled meets. So you can probably eat as many as you want.
5. Wiliamsburg’s Dos Toros Taqueria (189 Bedford Ave., 718-384-8833) is finishing up its #howiburrito contest today. Customers who show the staff a posted photo of their favorite burriots with the hashtags #howiburrito and #DosToros will receive a free Tectate beer or soft drink with their purchase.