The Word: What we know about Becky G., CoverGirl’s new face
Meet the newest face of CoverGirl: Becky G. (real name: Rebbeca Marie Gomez) will be featured in both print and national TV campaigns this summer. She wants to inspire “chicas” to be “easy and breezy” through the collaboration.
The 16-year-old joins such beauties as P!nk, Sofia Vergara, Queen Latifah and Ellen DeGeneres to be the face of the makeup giant, not a small feat for someone who rose to fame via YouTube in 2011. Here’s what we know about this young talent:
- Becky G. is Mexican-American, and she wants to inspire girls that “they can be both” and to have pride in their heritage, as she does. She’s inspired by her mom and her family (and spent some of her childhood living in her grandparents’ converted garage). She raps a lot about being a second-generation American.
- Becky was discovered by the production team The Jam and began working with them and releasing YouTube performance videos. She signed to Kemosabe/RCA Records, after hitmaker Dr. Luke saw a YouTube clip of her swaggering her way through an original rap.
- Her hit video “Becky from the Block,” a riff on “Jenny from the Block,” has more than four million views on Vevo.
- Like most 16-year-olds, she is active on social media and maintains a close relationship with her fans, whom she affectionately dubs “beasters” (@iambeckyg on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram).
- She released “Play It Again” on Tuesday, an EP that includes four new tracks: “Can’t Get Enough” (feat. Pitbull), “Built For This,” “Ain’t No Zoomin’” and “Loving What You Do.”