The Word: Cory Monteith’s autopsy findings confirm overdose
The final autopsy report for “Glee” star Cory Monteith was released on Wednesday.The British Columbia coroner’s findings show nothing new; as it was reported back in July, the 31-year-old actor died of an alcohol and heroin overdose in a Vancouver hotel room. The report states the star was legally drunk the night he died; his blood alcohol level was 0.13 percent. His body was found near two empty champagne bottles as well as a spoon coated with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle.
The coroner’s report corroborates speculation that Monteith, who completed rehab in April, didn’t have the tolerance for his former quantities of drugs and alcohol. Basically, because he had been clean, his body couldn’t handle the shock — and it killed him.
“Individuals typically build up a concentration tolerance to this type of drug over time. After a period of cessation from opioid drug use, a previously tolerated drug concentration level may become toxic and fatal,” the report stated.