Week 9 Fallout: Is Chris Johnson back?
In the days leading up to this week, there were no signs that Chris Johnson would break out. His coaches were talking about using Javon Ringer for at least half the work, there were rumors CJ2K could be cut this offseason and the Titans were facing the Bengals’ elite run defense. But then Johnson rushed 14 times for 64 yards and caught four passes for 46 yards.
The Titans appeared to change their philosophy with Johnson today, running him outside the tackles much more than inside. Out there, CJ looked decisive and didn’t dance like he has been. However, the problem is that backs who don’t run between the tackles often end up as secondary pieces. NFL teams need to run the ball up the gut, or the entire offense will get swallowed up.
So, I’m not buying low on Johnson. One good game isn’t going to erase seven weeks of awful tape.
Let’s get to the rest of the fallout from Week 9:
* DeMarco Murray is much better than I thought. He’s big, strong and fast. There’s no way Felix Jones gets his job back.
* Miles Austin left with a hamstring aggravation. Add Laurent Robinson as Tony Romo has good chemistry with him.
* Joseph Addai was active but Delone Carter started. Then, Carter fumbled and the Colts turned to Donald Brown. It’s a messy situation that has turned wildly unpredictable.
* Roy Helu has taken over as the every-down back in Washington. Barring injury, I suspect he’ll finish the year in that role. He fits with John Beck’s check-down style.
* Hopefully you bought low on Vincent Jackson, as we’ve been preaching.
* Chris Ogbonnaya can’t play. He’s just not good enough and the Browns’ line isn’t helping him. Even with Peyton Hillis and Montario Hardesty down, Ogbonnaya is a weak play.
* Tim Tebow did what we’ve been expecting. He was serviceable in the passing game and broke off 117 rushing yards. And the Broncos won, meaning he’ll have job security. Tebow is an every-week QB1.
* Darrius Heyward-Bey acted as the No. 5 wideout for the Raiders today. Strange. Very strange. Get him benched until further notice, and add Jacoby Ford in the meantime.