Friday Hoops Pickups
Fantasy basketball is usually the most work out of any fantasy sport. Coaches are always messing with minutes, so we’re always on our toes. This year has been even more complicated as the condensed schedule has led to countless nagging injuries and late scratches. But as always, the active owner is the successful one.
Here are this week’s top-5 adds off the wire, geared toward 12-team leagues:
1. Greivis Vasquez, G, Hornets: Jarrett Jack’s knee injury is minor, but Eric Gordon’s is not. Even once Jack gets back, Vasquez’s fantasy friendly game will be allowed to shine at the shooting guard spot as well as at backup point guard. The kid can really play.
2. Reggie Williams, G, Bobcats: This is a long-term add. With Gerald Henderson, Corey Maggette and DJ Augustin all sidelined by injury, the Bobcats are desperate for anyone that can score. Matt Carroll will likely start at shooting guard initially, but Williams is the better player.
3. Jerryd Bayless, G, Raptors: Jose Calderon remains on the trading block and Bayless’ explosive play of late should show the Raptors that a deal needs to get done now. With 30-plus minutes Bayless, could be a top-40 player.
4. Trevor Booker, F, Wizards: The grinding, get-er-done kind of guy that will help in blocks, steals and boards while Andray Blatche (shoulder) is sidelined.
5. Ed Davis, F/C, Raptors: Andrea Bargnani (calf) isn’t close and Amir Johnson is in the doghouse. That leaves Davis, who can block shots and rebound in bunches.
* Note that Drew Gooden, Roddy Beaubois, Jared Dudley and James Johnson should have all been owned already.