The Beanpot Report: Turkey Day vacay for BU, BC, NU, Harvard

With the first real break of the 2012-13 NCAA hockey season upon us (thank you Pilgrims), it’s a good time to make some early judgments on the four teams that play in the Beanpot, based on a decent sample size. BC is a juggernaut, the undisputed best team in the nation. BU and Harvard are talented but inconsistent so they are not on the Eagles’ level yet. Unfortunately, it seems like Northeastern has continued on its usual path of never-ending rebuilding. No question that many things will change between now and February (when the Beanpot) occurs and beyond but for now, those are the obvious judgments about the four squads.

Power rankings

1) Boston College (9-1-0, 8-1-0 Hockey East; No. 1 in USCHO.com poll)
Last week: Beat Merrimack 4-3 on Friday
This week: Host Dartmouth on Saturday
More than any other team, the Eagles earned their vacation. Not only are they currently riding a nine-game win streak but against the Warriors, they fell behind 3-0 in the second period before erasing that in 7:02 of the same frame. Senior forward Steven Whitney completed the stunning comeback with the game-winning goal in the third period as BC escaped with another victory. One non-conference game this weekend should ease them back into the swing of things before they meet BU twice the following weekend.

2) Boston University (6-4-0, 5-3-0 in Hockey East; No. 10 in USCHO.com poll)
Last week: Won 6-2 at Vermont on Friday; Lost 3-1 to UNH on Sunday
This week: Host St. Lawrence on Saturday
For the third straight weekend, the Terriers picked up a win but they also suffered a loss. They stuck to the script in a sense because they blew out the Catamounts on the road but dropped another game against the Wildcats (who also beat them 4-1 on October 20). The Wildcats have been the early surprise of Hockey East-they are second in the conference and ranked No. 3 nationally-so BU isn’t the only team to have trouble with them. St. Lawerence isn’t ranked but they received votes in the latest polls so they are a quality opponent. The Terriers need to tune up against the ECAC team before they play BC again. 

3) Harvard (4-3-0, 3-3-0 ECAC; No. 17 in USCHO.com poll)
Last week: Won 4-1 at Cornell on Friday; Lost 1-0 at Colgate on Saturday
This week: Off until December 7
Without question, the best win of the weekend for any of these teams was Harvard’s resounding 4-1 victory at No. 10 Cornell. With that said, it probably would have felt much better and had a more lasting effect if they recorded the sweep and won at Colgate too. Still, that shows how good the Crimson can be when they put it all together. Like BU, they have alternated wins and losses for the past three weekends. Only an Ivy League team (ECAC for hockey) would find a way to take two weeks off in the middle of the season, this is also from a team that started two weeks after everybody else. Amazing.

4) Northeastern (4-6-1, 2-6-1 Hockey East; not ranked but received 2 votes)
Last week: Lost 6-2 at Providence on Friday; Lost 3-2 at Vermont on Saturday
This week: Host St. Lawrence on Friday
It was another lost weekend for the Huskies who are 0-6-1 in their last seven Hockey East games. They haven’t beaten a conference foe since way back on October 13 vs. BC. To think that Northeastern started off this season on such a promising note. Where has it all gone wrong? Apropos of nothing, they’ve scored two goals each time in their last four conference losses so maybe that’s the magic number. Regardless, you have to ask who is still voting for this team that is trending straight down? 

Star of the week

Harvard junior goaltender Raphael Girard
Girard got both starts in Upstate New York last weekend and while his record said 1-1-0, it’s hard to fault a guy that only allowed two goals in two games. He made 34 saves in the upset of Cornell and followed that up with 21 saves against Colgate. He’s played in all seven games and started the last six, putting up a 2.06 goals against average.

Quote of the week
From The Crimson (Harvard’s campus newspaper)
“(In) the first 15 minutes, there weren’t any goals. It was a really tight hockey game,” said Crimson sophomore forward Mike Seward. “At Cornell, there are so many fans and the energy of the game is so high, goals like (the second goal) are big for momentum, so it was big that we scored right after Cornell scored to silence the crowd.”

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Brooklyn man charged in roommate's stabbing death

A Brooklyn man accused of violently stabbing his roommate to death on Monday is in police custody and faces murder charges.

International

Dinosaurs could have survived asteroid strike

It turns out there is a good and a bad time for the planet to be hit by a meteor, and dinosaurs were just unlucky.…

National

OkCupid admits to Facebook-style experimenting on customers

By Sarah McBrideSAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - OkCupid, a top U.S. matchmaking website, intentionally mismatched users to test its technology, the IAC/InterActive Corp service said on…

Local

MTA fares still increasing 4 percent in newly…

The agency said the 4 percent increases, previously announced in December, will remain steady even as the MTA deals with increasing labor costs.

Movies

Interview: Brendan Gleeson on the way 'Calvary' depicts…

Brendan Gleeson talks about how his new film "Calvary" began over drinks and how his character here is the opposite of the lead in "The Guard."

Movies

'Get on Up' producer Mick Jagger on the…

Mick Jagger, a producer on the James Brown biopic "Get on Up," talks about the time had to tell the singer some bad news and his favorite JB record.

Television

'Glee' star Lea Michele to appear on 'Sons…

"Glee" star Lea Michele has been confirmed as a guest star in the final season of "Sons of Anarchy."

Television

TV watch list, Monday, July 28: 'The Bachelorette'…

See Andi Dorfman make her big choice on tonight's 'Bachelorette' finale.

MLB

Angelo Cataldi: Ryan Howard deserves better from Phillies

Just last week, Ryan Howard endured the embarrassment of a benching that was inevitable, and yet still shocking.

NFL

Larry Donnell has inside track in Giants tight…

Little-known Larry Donnell of Grambling State currently has the inside track, as the second-year player has received the bulk of the first-team reps.

NFL

Computer to Jets: Start Michael Vick over Geno…

Jets general manager John Idzik says the choice of who starts between second-year quarterback Geno Smith and veteran Michael Vick will be a “Jets decision.”

MLB

Yankees looking to trade for Josh Willingham: Report

CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported Sunday the Yankees are interested in Twins outfielder Josh Willingham.

Travel

Glasgow: Hey, hey, the gangs aren't here

This European city has done a good job getting rid of its more violent residents and revitalizing with artists.

Education

Babson College tops list of best colleges for…

Money magazine has just released its inaugural list of "The Best Colleges for Your Money" -- and the answers have surprised many. Babson College, which…

Education

NYC teens learn how to develop apps during…

Through a program sponsored by CampInteractive, the high schoolers designed their own community-focused apps.

Tech

The Ministry of Silly Walks app is both…

Monty Python have dug into their back catalogue for cash-ins once more, but with the Ministry of Silly Walks app, they've made something that's fun too.