Stouffer’s Mac ‘N Cheese Truck: Delicious food for Hurricane Sandy relief
Do you know the only thing better than a classic macaroni and cheese dish that everyone loves? Buying that mac ‘n cheese in order to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. That’s what is currently happening thanks to the Stouffer’s Mac ‘N Cheese Truck going around New York City from today until Thursday, February 14th–the day of love to send a “big hug to New York.”
I was lucky enough to attend the new food truck’s kick-off event, where Stouffer’s representatives served up free macaroni and cheese (traditional, chili mac and BBQ mac) to Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn, residents that were affected by the October disaster.
After trying the three different kids of macaroni and cheese (YUM!), I sat down with Master of Spice chef Lior Lev Sercarz (he created the chili mac while fellow chef “Grill Girl” Elizabeth Karmel is the one behind the BBQ mac) to talk about the launch of the food truck and why Stouffer’s is so dedicated to bringing delicious, cheap food to New Yorkers all for a good cause.
“They thought it would be fun to see how they could give their product a little twist,” he says of the much-loved Stouffer’s mac and cheese. Finding out that they actually make their own pasta and use 100 percent cheddar cheese, Chef Sercarz explained how “we came up with five toppings to show that you can have the plain, classic one but if you want to change it once in a while, you can do it.”
Stouffer’s and Nestle, the parent company, are donating all of the proceeds from the sales of the $4 mac and cheese which is currently driving around New York City and opening its doors from about 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. Other than Chef Sercarz’s and Chef Karmel’s mac and cheese, Stouffer’s also invited six celebrity chefs to join in a friendly competition where they serve up their own take on macaroni and cheese–and the winner will have a $25,000 donation to the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City in support of hurricane relief efforts.
Besides serving up the really delicious macaroni and cheese (the chili mac was my personal favorite), Chef Sercarz hopes that they will be able to raise as much money as possible and also interact with people to hear their own favorite versions of Stouffer’s mac and cheese.
If you’re interested in some yummy for-a-good-cause $4 macaroni and cheese, check out one of these locations:
- 1/28 Monday: 40th & 5th/Bryant Park
- 1/29 Tuesday (Celebrity Chef Seamus Mullen): 26th bw 7 & 8 (Chelsea Television Studios)
- 1/30 Wednesday: 23rd & Park (Madison Square Park)
- 1/31 Thursday (Celebrity Chef Amanda Freitag): 48th & 3rd
- 2/1 Friday: Hudson & King St (Tribeca)
- 2/4 Monday: 14 & Irving (Union Square)
- 2/5 Tuesday (Celebrity Chef Lee Ann Wong): 4 World Financial Center, North End Ave @ Vescey St
- 2/6 Wednesday: 57 & 8th (Hearst Building*)
- 2/7: Thursday (Celebrity Chef Marc Murphy): 46 & Vanderbilt (Grand Central area)
- 2/8 Friday: Hanover Square
- 2/11 Monday (Celebrity Chef Chris Santos): Varick & Vandam (SoHo)
- 2/12 Tuesday: Water & Wall -OR- Broad
- 2/13 Wednesday: 46 & 6th
- 2/14 Thursday (Celebrity Chef Sarah Simmons): 48th & 3rd
(Images via Irina Gonzalez)