Chances are you live next to a cat
Ever walk by a giant dog about the size of a small pony and wonder what kind of crazy baller apartment the owners must have to house such a beast? Well, it might actually be a regular-size pad. According to Apartments.com — which just released results from its 2013 survey about renting with pets — more than 75 percent surveyed said the size of their apartment only played “some importance” to “no difference” when picking a pet. Here are more results from the survey:
• Chances are you’re living next door to some story of creature. This year, 75 percent of renters surveyed said they are pet owners, compared with 43 percent in 2012.
• That pet is probably a cat. The five most popular companions among those surveyed are:
1. Cat: 45 percent
2. Small dog: 38 percent
3. Medium dog: 21 percent
4. Large dog: 19 percent
5. Fish: 6 percent
• If you own a pet, you’ve got it much harder when it comes to finding a place, as 65 percent of renters polled said they faced some level of difficulty in finding apartments with pet-friendly options.
• Your neighbor who lets her jumpy dog of the leash really does believe you’re cool with it. Most renters who own pets think that the majority of non-pet owners who live in their building are either pet-friendly (51 percent) or have an indifferent attitude toward pets (31 percent).
• Even though you don’t have a dog, you don’t mind riding the elevator with them. Fifty-eight percent of renters who do not own pets still enjoy living in pet-friendly apartment buildings.
• Don’t be so quick to roll your eyes when your neighbor’s dog isn’t perfectly behaved. The survey reveals nearly seven out of 10 respondents adopted their pet from a rescue or shelter.