Recipe of the week: Lobster and Corn Bruschetta
Many people savor the firm, sweet crunch of fresh corn on the cob as a complement to their summer barbecues or picnics — but corn ceviche? Yup, it exists. You’ll find that and other creative dishes in Lisa Skye’s new book, “I Love Corn.”
“It’s yellow, it’s happy, it’s great in the things I already knew it was great in like salads and salsas. But who knew there was corn ice cream?” says Skye about her motivation for writing the book.
To find these special dishes, Skye asked 50 renowned chefs, including bigwigs such as Daniel Bouloud and Martha Stewart, to provide their favorite ways to cook the star ingredient.
We say try one out at your next cookout—perhaps Choza Taqueria owner Dominic Giuliano’s Lobster and Corn Bruschetta. Minds will be blown.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
2 medium-size ears fresh corn, kernels removed (1 1/2 cups)
1 medium-size red pepper, seeded and diced
2 shallots, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons minced cilantro, plus for garnish
2 tablespoons minced scallions, white and green parts (about 4 scallions)
1 (1 1/2-pound) lobster, cooked, cleaned, and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
Salt and fresh black pepper
1 French baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 avocado, sliced very thinly
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the corn, red pepper and shallots. Cook until the shallots begin to appear translucent, three to four minutes.
3. Whisk the curry powder and heavy cream in a small bowl, then add to the corn mixture. Continue to cook until the consistency of the cream has thickened, about one minute. Add the cilantro, scallions and lobster. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook 10 minutes on low heat.
5. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake until slightly toasted, five to seven minutes.
6. Place a spoonful of lobster mixture over each of the toasted baguettes. Garnish with a small slice of avocado and a cilantro leaf.