Healthy summer recipe: Black Quinoa and Summer Squash Saute
If you’re like us, quinoa is now a regular part of your diet. But we’re kinda over our staple beans and quinoa recipe. Fair Trade and Organic brand, Alter Eco Foods is a great resource for buying and experimenting with the superfood. Not only does their site have tons of recipe ideas to try, like their Black quinoa and Summer Squash Saute (pictured above), and adorable tutorial videos, it’s also a great source to learn more about the ancient grain.
1 cup black quinoa
2 lbs summer squash and zucchini, cut into matchsticks
¼ cup pine nuts
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
¼ cup finely grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions
- Toast pine nuts in large dry skillet over medium heat, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to plate, let cool.
- Heat olive oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add squash and zucchini and cook, tossing occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Fold in parmesan. Fold in pine nuts.
- Combine quinoa and squash mixture and serve.