Tufts University students trash Boston hotel during Winter Bash

Tufts University students are accused of vomiting and urinating in public at the Westin Copley Plaza during the school's Winter Bash. (Premshree Pillai/Flickr)
Tufts University students are accused of vomiting and urinating in public at the Westin Copley Plaza during the school’s Winter Bash. (Premshree Pillai/Flickr)

This year’s Tufts University Winter Bash apparently lived up to its name. The school’s Dean of Student Affairs is outraged over excessive drinking and damage caused to the hotel where the party took place.

In an op-ed in the Tufts Daily student newspaper, Dean Bruce Reitman said 15-20 students drank so much at the Feb. 1 event, they needed medical attention. Reitman is blaming not only those students, but also their friends, who may have encouraged the behavior.

Reitman also expressed outrage at the way Tufts students treated the event’s venue, the Westin Copley Plaza hotel.

“I am referring also to the myriad students who threw up all over the place and everyone who thought it was okay for the hotel staff to clean up the mess,” Reitman wrote. “And I’m referring to the male student and the female student who decided that urinating in the middle of the lobby was okay. Really?”

Reitman pledged that university officials will make changes to future events “to address the evidently widespread belief that Winter Bash is a time to get outrageously drunk and go to a classy Boston hotel. We have to do better.”

The newspaper appears to agree with Reitman’s assessment. In an editorial, the Tufts Daily editors said students should hold themselves to “a higher standard.”

“What this most recent stain on our reputation should warrant, if nothing else, is a comprehensive review of both logistical and moral concerns regarding Winter Bash and events of this nature,” the editorial reads. “Because our proven track record of misconduct at both on−campus and off−campus school−sponsored parties, the purpose of such events should absolutely be reconsidered.”

However, the editorial is a change in tone from an article written just after the event. On Feb. 4, the paper reported that organizers considered the Winter Bash “a success.”

“There were a few hiccups, but [the Office for Campus Life (OCL)] Event Staff and the hotel staff dealt with it well,” Programming Board Co−Chair Christopher Blackett, said in the article. “I only heard good things about them from students.”

Blackett painted a different picture of the event yesterday.

“This year was kind of in shambles,” Blackett told the Tufts Daily. “We expected some problems, but I don’t think we could’ve foreseen the level that occurred.”

Planning is already underway for the Tufts Fall Ball in September — an event with its own history of problems.

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Mayor announces public housing improvements

Mayor Bill de Blasio spoke at the Lincoln Houses in East Harlem on Wednesday, calling for the scaffolding to come down at NYCHA complexes across…

National

Peter Theo Curtis: American released by Syrian militants…

An American writer freed this week from two years in the captivity of insurgents in Syria spoke briefly outside his family's Cambridge home Wednesday of…

Local

Bratton defends 'broken windows' work as NYPD support…

Sixty percent of those polled said they support the "broken windows" theory approach popularized by Commissioner Bratton since his first term in the 1990s.

Local

Transit changes for Labor Day weekend

The MTA is adding additional service Friday for New Yorkers getting out of the city for the long weekend. On Friday, Aug. 29, 27 additional…

Television

'So You Think You Can Dance' recap: Season…

Season 11’s top four dancers gave their final performances before America’s Favorite Dancers are announced next week.

Going Out

Things to do this week in NYC, Aug.…

MUSIC The Electric Zoo Festival Aug. 29-31, 1 p.m. Randall’s Island Park $99-$369, www.electriczoofestival.com The electronic music celebration returns for a fifth year, with 150,000 attendees…

Going Out

5 things to do this weekend in NYC

The Electric Zoo Festival Aug. 29-31, 1 p.m. Randall’s Island Park $99-$369, www.electriczoofestival.com The electronic music celebration returns for a fifth year, with 150,000 attendees expected. David Guetta,…

Television

'Full House' might be relaunched with some of…

A new "Full House" might be in the works.

NFL

Mario Manningham on the bubble as Giants play…

Former Super Bowl hero Mario Manningham hopes his second go-around with Big Blue doesn’t end with Saturday’s final cut day.

NFL

Source: Stephen Hill 'faces a battle' to make…

A team source says Stephen Hill, who has battled injuries and poor performances during his first two years, is no lock to make the Jets’ final roster.

Sports

Serena Williams leaving legacy of talented American women…

It seems only a matter of when, not if, Serena Williams will win her 18th career grand slam championship.

College

When are 2014 college football playoffs? (Schedule, date,…

When and where are 2014 college football playoffs? A look at the schedule, date, TV, time for the semi-finals at championship game.

Food

Recipe: Samuel Adams beer-marinated grilled shrimp

Summer calls for two things: a cold beer and light food. Sam Adams' Latitude 48 IPA fairly bursts with citrus notes, making it an ideal marinade…

Wellbeing

Heart trumps brain when it comes to movies…

When you need a good cry, do you reach for the movie that’s “based on a true story”? Science says you’re giving your brain far…

Sex

The 10 types of people you meet online

Does it ever seem like online dating profiles tend to get a little repetitive? It turns out you are not the only one to have…

Home

Labor Day essentials

Whether you’re soaking up the sun on the beach or barbecuing in the park here are some must-haves for your end-of-summer bash.