Tufts University students trash Boston hotel during Winter Bash

Tufts University students are accused of vomiting and urinating in public at the Westin Copley Plaza during the school's Winter Bash. (Premshree Pillai/Flickr)
Tufts University students are accused of vomiting and urinating in public at the Westin Copley Plaza during the school’s Winter Bash. (Premshree Pillai/Flickr)

This year’s Tufts University Winter Bash apparently lived up to its name. The school’s Dean of Student Affairs is outraged over excessive drinking and damage caused to the hotel where the party took place.

In an op-ed in the Tufts Daily student newspaper, Dean Bruce Reitman said 15-20 students drank so much at the Feb. 1 event, they needed medical attention. Reitman is blaming not only those students, but also their friends, who may have encouraged the behavior.

Reitman also expressed outrage at the way Tufts students treated the event’s venue, the Westin Copley Plaza hotel.

“I am referring also to the myriad students who threw up all over the place and everyone who thought it was okay for the hotel staff to clean up the mess,” Reitman wrote. “And I’m referring to the male student and the female student who decided that urinating in the middle of the lobby was okay. Really?”

Reitman pledged that university officials will make changes to future events “to address the evidently widespread belief that Winter Bash is a time to get outrageously drunk and go to a classy Boston hotel. We have to do better.”

The newspaper appears to agree with Reitman’s assessment. In an editorial, the Tufts Daily editors said students should hold themselves to “a higher standard.”

“What this most recent stain on our reputation should warrant, if nothing else, is a comprehensive review of both logistical and moral concerns regarding Winter Bash and events of this nature,” the editorial reads. “Because our proven track record of misconduct at both on−campus and off−campus school−sponsored parties, the purpose of such events should absolutely be reconsidered.”

However, the editorial is a change in tone from an article written just after the event. On Feb. 4, the paper reported that organizers considered the Winter Bash “a success.”

“There were a few hiccups, but [the Office for Campus Life (OCL)] Event Staff and the hotel staff dealt with it well,” Programming Board Co−Chair Christopher Blackett, said in the article. “I only heard good things about them from students.”

Blackett painted a different picture of the event yesterday.

“This year was kind of in shambles,” Blackett told the Tufts Daily. “We expected some problems, but I don’t think we could’ve foreseen the level that occurred.”

Planning is already underway for the Tufts Fall Ball in September — an event with its own history of problems.

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
National

Actor Tracy Morgan wasn't wearing seatbelt in June…

By Jonathan Stempel(Reuters) - Actor and comedian Tracy Morgan and others in his limousine were not wearing seat belts when their vehicle was struck by…

National

Connected cars: Is AT&T leaving Verizon in its…

By Marina Lopes and Bernie WoodallWASHINGTON/DETROIT (Reuters) - Verizon Communications, the No.1 U.S. wireless carrier known for its widespread coverage, is falling behind its biggest…

Local

Grand jury begins hearing evidence in Eric Garner…

A grand jury began hearing evidence Monday relating to the death of Eric Garner while in police custody in July. Garner, 43, of Staten Island,…

Local

Mayor announces plan for solar panels at city…

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced the planned installation of 24 new solar panels at city schools on Monday morning. The panels, a $28 million investment,…

Going Out

Taste what Lower Manhattan is cooking at today's…

The Lower Manhattan food scene has changed a lot in three years, which you can taste first hand when the neighborhood's food festival returns. On…

Television

Review: 'Selfie' tries to coast on the charm…

"Selfie" offers cute leads and some good jokes, but focuses too much on a vague distaste for social media.

Movies

Review: Jason Reitman's 'Men, Women & Children' is…

Jason Reitman's "Men, Women & Children" takes a hysterical and melodramatic look at disconnection in the digital age, turning strong actors into zombies.

Television

TV watch list, Monday, Sept. 29: 'Castle,' 'Mom'…

Tune in for the season premieres of "Castle," "Mom" and "NCIS: Los Angeles."

NFL

Ryan Quigley making a big impact for Jets…

Ryan Quigley, now in his second year as the Jets punter, had an exceptional afternoon with six punts for an average of 51.7 yards per punt.

NFL

3 positives to take from Jets loss to…

The Jets suffered another loss Sunday — 24-17 to the Lions — but the reason why it hurts so much for Jets fans is that…

MLB

Joe Girardi not confident David Robertson will return…

David Robertson was as seamless as anyone could be replacing Mariano Rivera as he converted 39 saves, with a 3.08 ERA and 96 strikeouts in 64 1/3 innings.

NBA

Carmelo Anthony preaches patience with new coach, offense

While star forward Carmelo Anthony said he’s “enthusiastic” and “optimistic” for the upcoming season, he still wants everyone — from within the locker room and…

Education

How to ace your private school interview

Getting ready for a private school interview can be daunting for many, most of whom might never have been in an interview situation before. We’ve…

Education

5 questions parents should ask while visiting private…

It can be hard to know what to look for when searching for a new school for your child. Parents considering several different schools can…

Education

3 ways to save money on college application…

With the average high school student applying to 5 or 6 schools, hefty application and test score fees can add up quickly. We’ve compiled some…

Education

Nap rooms: The latest college campus trend

College is a time filled with new experiences (and lots of schoolwork), leaving little time for students to get a good night’s rest. University of…