BU fraternity suspended after student’s death

anthony barksdale boston boston university bu
Anthony Barksdale II. (Photo courtesy Boston University)

The Boston University chapter of the Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity has been suspended by its national headquarters and the university, following the death of a freshman member.

19-year-old Anthony Barksdale II was found unconscious early Saturday morning at an apartment on Wadsworth St. in Allston, where an SAM party was held the night before. EMS transported Barksdale to St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, where he died.

According to BU Today, Alex Cuetara, president of SAM at BU, told Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore a “meet and greet” was held to welcome six new members into the fraternity, Barksdale among them. About 46 people attended the party.

“The national organization actually suspended BU’s chapter based upon what they believed was information that Sigma Alpha Mu, at an off-campus location, a private residence, held a fraternity function that involved underage drinking where someone who was severely intoxicated was taken out of the space,” Elmore told the Daily Free Press, BU’s student newspaper.

Leland Manders, executive director of the fraternity’s national organization, met with Elmore Monday afternoon.

“We need to find out what happened on Friday evening and determine if there was a policy violation and how bad that violation may have been,” Manders told BU Today. “We will work in partnership with the University offices to determine if the chapter can continue in the future and under what circumstances it continues.”

University officials and Boston Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding Barksdale’s death. Toxicology results are pending, but the Suffolk district attorney’s offices says a preliminary autopsy shows no signs of physical violence.

Barksdale graduated from Souhegan High School in Amherst, N.H., last year, where he earned awards in basketball and academics.

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
National

US military tried, but failed to rescue journalist…

The U.S. military earlier this year tried to rescue journalist James Foley and other American hostages held in Syria ,but failed to find the captives.

National

Fate of captured beluga whales in hands of…

A Georgia aquarium went to court on Wednesday seeking federal permission to bring 18 captured beluga whales to the United States from Russia.

Local

After Eric Garner death, religious leaders meet to…

Interfaith leaders convened with city officials to discuss what the community can do to help dial down heightened tensions after Eric Garner's death.

Local

'Suspicious' Hamilton Heights fire caused by power strip:…

An extension cord overload caused the deadly fire in Hamilton Heights late Monday that killed a 15-year-old girl and injured at least 12 others.

Television

'So You Think You Can Dance' recap: Season…

And then there were six. It was a big night on stage as the Top 6 got to dance with each other, All-star partners and perform a solo routine.

Going Out

5 things to do in NYC this weekend…

FILM Lebowski Fest Aug. 22-23, 8 p.m. Various locations, Manhattan $20-$30, www.lebowskifest.com The Dude abides — for 48 hours to celebrate the 1998 Coen brothers classic.…

Television

'Doctor Who' personality profile: the 4 Doctors

When the time comes for a new Doctor, there's always some anxiety over the big question: Who will he be? The series owes its longevity…

Television

Billy Crystal to commemorate late actor Robin Williams…

Comedian Billy Crystal will pay tribute to late actor Robin Williams at television's Primetime Emmy Awards on Aug. 25, the show's organizers said on…

NFL

Giants expected to work Corey Washington into first-team…

The day of reckoning for the Giants' fringe players will fall upon them Friday night against the Jets.

NFL

Jalen Saunders still unsure what caused car accident…

Jets rookie wide receiver Jalen Saunders spoke to the media Wednesday for the first time since his car accident, but he didn't say a whole lot.

NFL

2014 Fantasy Football: Rankings, list of top NFL…

2014 Fantasy Football: Rankings, list of top NFL defense (DEF)

NFL

2014 Fantasy Football: Rankings, list of top NFL quarterbacks (QB)

Sex

Online dating for every generation

Frank Jackson and his mother Maggie are like lots of modern families: They have dinner together regularly, keep each other updated on their lives —…

Wellbeing

Going green could be the key to getting…

If we could just pursue the things that would actually make us happy, we could help the environment too, according to a New York researcher.…

Wellbeing

Metabolic syndrome could have a sugar link

Scientists in St. Louis may have found another culprit in metabolic syndrome, which can lead to heart disease and type 2 diabetes.  Uric acid is…

Wellbeing

Another way stress hurts your unborn baby

Mothers know to try staying calm during pregnancy, as stress has been linked to behavioral and developmental problems for their babies. But now, a new…