BU fraternity suspended after student’s death

anthony barksdale boston boston university bu
Anthony Barksdale II. (Photo courtesy Boston University)

The Boston University chapter of the Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity has been suspended by its national headquarters and the university, following the death of a freshman member.

19-year-old Anthony Barksdale II was found unconscious early Saturday morning at an apartment on Wadsworth St. in Allston, where an SAM party was held the night before. EMS transported Barksdale to St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, where he died.

According to BU Today, Alex Cuetara, president of SAM at BU, told Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore a “meet and greet” was held to welcome six new members into the fraternity, Barksdale among them. About 46 people attended the party.

“The national organization actually suspended BU’s chapter based upon what they believed was information that Sigma Alpha Mu, at an off-campus location, a private residence, held a fraternity function that involved underage drinking where someone who was severely intoxicated was taken out of the space,” Elmore told the Daily Free Press, BU’s student newspaper.

Leland Manders, executive director of the fraternity’s national organization, met with Elmore Monday afternoon.

“We need to find out what happened on Friday evening and determine if there was a policy violation and how bad that violation may have been,” Manders told BU Today. “We will work in partnership with the University offices to determine if the chapter can continue in the future and under what circumstances it continues.”

University officials and Boston Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding Barksdale’s death. Toxicology results are pending, but the Suffolk district attorney’s offices says a preliminary autopsy shows no signs of physical violence.

Barksdale graduated from Souhegan High School in Amherst, N.H., last year, where he earned awards in basketball and academics.

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
News

Boston Marathon 2014 on high alert, Red Sox…

One year on from the horrific Boston Marathon bombings a ring of steel has been thrown around today's race, and a city stands defiant against…

News

Boston Strong: One year on from Boston Marathon…

For more than a century the Boston Marathon has been an even centred around sportsmanship, endurance and athleticism, but there's no denying the face…

Local

Best nature spots for kids in New York…

When it comes to kids and nature, most U.S. parents agree: children should be spending more time outdoors. According to a recent survey by The…

Local

Easter 2014: The year's best bonnets

It's Easter, and that means it's time for Fifth Avenue to turn into a veritable catwalk of bonnet-wearers. The annual march, which kicks off at…

Television

‘Mad Men’ recap: Season 7, Episode 2, ‘A…

Peggy and Lou are horrible, Bert's racist, Don is honest(ish) and Roger and Pete are frustrated. "A Day's Work" not quite worthy of "This Will Be Our Year."

Television

'Game of Thrones' recap: Season 4, Episode 3,…

The problem with the devil you know is that ignoring them doesn’t mean they simply lie in wait. It allows them time to do things…

Television

Discovery cancels 'Everest Jump Live' special in wake…

The Discovery Channel has indicated it will not be moving forward with "Everest Jump Live," a planned special about mountain climber Joby Ogwyn's effort to…

The Word

'X-Men' director Bryan Singer drama continues

News broke late last week that "X-Men" and "The Usual Suspects" director Bryan Singer is being sued by a man who said Singer molested…

NHL

Rangers let chance at victory slip away in…

All the Rangers had to do was hold serve in a raucous Madison Square Garden — roaring in anticipation of putting a hated rival in a 2-0 series hole.

MLB

Yankees place Ivan Nova on DL with partially…

Yankees starter Ivan Nova was diagnosed with a partially torn UCL in his throwing elbow Sunday.

NHL

Rangers never thought opening round would be 'an…

You might have thought the Metropolitan Division semifinal series was going to be a rout after watching Game 1 Thursday night. The Rangers did not.

NHL

Rangers blow two-goal lead in Game 2 loss…

The Rangers got out to an early 2-0 lead in Game 2 and the Garden was rocking. But it went downhill quickly from there.

Travel

Packing: The one thing you need in your…

A new survey that looks at the travel habits of 50,000 people around the world has revealed that Western and Asian globetrotters have different priorities…

Home

Is your chair making it hard to talk?

Ever wished there was an office chair that could make impromptu meetings and discussions more private? The Cristiana Wing Chair is an asymmetrical armchair which…

Travel

Live large at these luxury hotels

From Thai boxing lessons and macabre Dracula tours to the Australian Outback, the Four Seasons hotel chain launched a series of new travel packages this…

Parenting

4 things that every summer camp should have

Alan Saltz, director of the 92nd street Y program lists things that every summer camp should have.