MIT to release evidence in Aaron Swartz case

Internet activist Aaron Swartz, seen here at a conference in May 2012, committed suicide in January. (peretzp/flickr)
Internet activist Aaron Swartz, seen here at a conference in May 2012, committed suicide in January. (Credit: peretzp/flickr)

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology plans to release documents requested by lawyers for Aaron Swartz, the Reddit co-founder and Internet activist who was charged with hacking into the MIT network.

Swartz was arrested in 2011 for allegedly using the MIT computer system to download millions of articles from JSTOR, an archive of academic journals. If convicted, Swartz faced 35 years in prison and a $1 million fine. The trial was set to begin in April.

Swartz committed suicide in January, prompting questions about how the case was handled. His family blamed MIT and U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz for Swartz’s death, although Ortiz defended the investigation.

On Friday, lawyers for his estate filed a federal court motion in Boston, seeking to have documents in the case made public, including information about vulnerabilities in the MIT network. Currently, the documents are under a protective order. The U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, which is investigating the Swartz matter, asked for the information last month.

“Both Congress and the public at large have an important role to play in determining what conduct is considered criminal, particularly in the relatively new and rapidly evolving context of so-called ‘computer crimes,’” attorneys Elliot R. Peters, Daniel Purcell and Michael J. Pineault wrote in the motion. They asked that the documents be released in their entirety, including the names of MIT personnel.

In a letter to the MIT community Tuesday, President L. Rafael Reif said the university will make the documents available, with some exceptions.

“Therefore — in the spirit of openness, balanced with responsibility — we will release the requested MIT documents, redacting employee names and identifying information as appropriate to protect their privacy, as well as redacting information about network vulnerabilities,” Reif wrote.

Reif said the documents would be made public at the same time that Professor Hal Abelson delivers a final report on the university’s involvement in the Swartz case. Abelson, an electrical engineering and computer science professor who directs Creative Commons and the Free Software Foundation, launched a probe at Reif’s request after Swartz’s death. His conclusions are expected this spring, according to the MIT student newspaper, the Tech.

Reif said MIT and people associated with it have been subjected to “a pattern of harassment and personal threats” since Swartz’s death.

“In this volatile atmosphere, I have the responsibility to protect the privacy and safety of those members of our community who have become involved in this matter in the course of doing their jobs for MIT, and to ensure a safe environment for all of us who call MIT home,” Reif said.

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Brooklyn man charged in roommate's stabbing death

A Brooklyn man accused of violently stabbing his roommate to death on Monday is in police custody and faces murder charges.

International

Dinosaurs could have survived asteroid strike

It turns out there is a good and a bad time for the planet to be hit by a meteor, and dinosaurs were just unlucky.…

National

OkCupid admits to Facebook-style experimenting on customers

By Sarah McBrideSAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - OkCupid, a top U.S. matchmaking website, intentionally mismatched users to test its technology, the IAC/InterActive Corp service said on…

Local

MTA fares still increasing 4 percent in newly…

The agency said the 4 percent increases, previously announced in December, will remain steady even as the MTA deals with increasing labor costs.

Movies

Interview: Brendan Gleeson on the way 'Calvary' depicts…

Brendan Gleeson talks about how his new film "Calvary" began over drinks and how his character here is the opposite of the lead in "The Guard."

Movies

'Get on Up' producer Mick Jagger on the…

Mick Jagger, a producer on the James Brown biopic "Get on Up," talks about the time had to tell the singer some bad news and his favorite JB record.

Television

'Glee' star Lea Michele to appear on 'Sons…

"Glee" star Lea Michele has been confirmed as a guest star in the final season of "Sons of Anarchy."

Television

TV watch list, Monday, July 28: 'The Bachelorette'…

See Andi Dorfman make her big choice on tonight's 'Bachelorette' finale.

MLB

Angelo Cataldi: Ryan Howard deserves better from Phillies

Just last week, Ryan Howard endured the embarrassment of a benching that was inevitable, and yet still shocking.

NFL

Larry Donnell has inside track in Giants tight…

Little-known Larry Donnell of Grambling State currently has the inside track, as the second-year player has received the bulk of the first-team reps.

NFL

Computer to Jets: Start Michael Vick over Geno…

Jets general manager John Idzik says the choice of who starts between second-year quarterback Geno Smith and veteran Michael Vick will be a “Jets decision.”

MLB

Yankees looking to trade for Josh Willingham: Report

CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported Sunday the Yankees are interested in Twins outfielder Josh Willingham.

Travel

Glasgow: Hey, hey, the gangs aren't here

This European city has done a good job getting rid of its more violent residents and revitalizing with artists.

Education

Babson College tops list of best colleges for…

Money magazine has just released its inaugural list of "The Best Colleges for Your Money" -- and the answers have surprised many. Babson College, which…

Education

NYC teens learn how to develop apps during…

Through a program sponsored by CampInteractive, the high schoolers designed their own community-focused apps.

Tech

The Ministry of Silly Walks app is both…

Monty Python have dug into their back catalogue for cash-ins once more, but with the Ministry of Silly Walks app, they've made something that's fun too.