(Updated) MIT email canceling classes called a hoax

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The hoax email appeared to have been sent by the president of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Some members of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology community got a rude surprise early Wednesday when an email supposedly sent from the school’s president canceling classes was instead revealed to be a hoax.

MIT said that just after 1 a.m. some members of the school were sent an email that pretended to be from President L. Rafael Reif and appeared to be addressed to the entire community.  

“The email stated that President Reif had decided to cancel classes today. The email was a hoax: Classes are not canceled, and the institute will operate as usual today,” MIT said in a statement.

According to The Tech, the student newspaper, the hoax email made a connection to the Aaron Swartz situation.

“I am writing to explain an important step that MIT has decided to take relating to the Aaron Swartz situation. Since this action affects members of our community, directly or indirectly, I want you to hear about it from me,” the hoax email said. “MIT has received several threatening requests in the media. Based on my initial reports, I believe it is best that we cancel classes for tomorrow.”

In its statement, the school said that at 4 a.m. a vice president sent an email to the community alerting people of the hoax e-mail and confirming that classes would take place as scheduled.

The Tech said the hoax email had been sent to more than 100 people.

When asked about Asparouhov’s status, a school spokeswoman said internal disciplinary proceedings and decision are confidential.

Suddenly sorry
In an online posting, sophomore Delian Asparouhov took credit for the hoax email.

Within hours after sending the prank, Asparouhov offered an apology on his webpage.

“Earlier today I sent out an email to most of MIT which alluded to a very controversial situation and spoofed as if it was sent from the president of MIT. This email produced fear and caused many people to be angry that someone would take such a serious matter so lightly. I’d like to apologize for the damage I caused to the MIT community, especially in light of the recent events that have caused large amounts of strife, which I only added to,” Asparouhov wrote.

Follow Michael Naughton on Twitter @metrobosmike.

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Flying can of soybeans hits woman in the…

Police are looking for a man suspected of throwing a can of soybeans that hit a woman in the face inside a Bronx supermarket last week.

Local

Body of 9-year-old boy found atop scaffolding around…

Police found the body of a 9-year-old boy atop scaffolding at his high-rise apartment building in the Bronx late Wednesday.

Local

Winners of the 2014 #NYCPoetweet contest

Every year, Metro partners with the mayor's office to promote Poem in your Pocket Day with a Twitter contest. Here are the winning entries.

Local

Where to celebrate Poem in Your Pocket Day…

Here are some ways you can get poetic today and for the rest of April, National Poetry Month.

The Word

Is Avril Lavigne's new music video racist?

Some fans say Avril Lavigne's new music video is offensive to Japanese people.

Television

Jodie Foster married girlfriend Alexandra Hedison this weekend

No need to rely on cryptic Golden Globe speeches for your movie star sexual orientation questions anymore: Jodie Foster is married to a lady. Foster…

Television

‘Survivor: Cagayan’ recap: Episode 9

It was only an hour-long episode, but there's a lot to cover this week. The drama of Survivor strikes again as the identity of the…

Movies

Interview: Rza mourns his 'Brick Mansions' co-star Paul…

"Brick Mansions" star Rza talks about how fun Paul Walker was, how America is slow to accept cool trends and on the new Wu-Tang album as a piece of art.

MLB

Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda ejected for using pine…

Pineda was thrown out of the game against the Red Sox Wednesday for having pine tar on his neck -- for all the world to see.

NFL

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Updated, new April 24…

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Updated, new April 24 version

NFL

Giants 2014 regular season schedule

The Giants will play five prime-time games — against the Lions, Redskins, Eagles, Colts and Cowboys.

MLB

Jets 2014 regular season schedule

The Jets will play three prime-time games — against the Bears, Patriots and Dolphins — as well as a CBS national game in Week 2 at Green Bay.

Tech

Spider-Man's web shooters get real

A German lab technician has created a working Spider-Man web shooter, which fires pellets and a harpoon-tipped, retractable fishing line instead of a liquid web.

Style

Pippa Middleton's Etsy pick: Golden Thread Jewelry

Get a look at the jewelry Pippa Middleton loves and find out how you can buy it too.

Parenting

What every parent needs to know to get…

Mom and author of "Small Talk," Tracey Blake, shares her five practical tips to help you develop your children's language skills.

Sex

Subway crush: Meet your soulmate on your commute

Read about a couple who has been 40 years after meeting on the train.