Boston College threatens students for condom distribution

A Boston College student group is in trouble for handing out condoms on campus. (Photo courtesy peachy92/Flickr)
A Boston College student group is in trouble for handing out condoms on campus. Credit: peachy92/Flickr

A group of Boston College students is being threatened with disciplinary action for distributing free condoms from their dorm rooms, which the university calls a violation of school policy.

Boston College Students for Sexual Health operates more than a dozen campus “safe sites”: dorm rooms and other locations where students can receive condoms and information on safe sex.

Earlier this month, Dean of Students Paul J. Chebator and Director of Residence Life George Arey sent a letter to the students living in those rooms.

“We would call your attention to the BC student guide which indicates that Boston College students have ‘the responsibility to respect the values and traditions of Boston College as a Jesuit, Catholic institution.’ The distribution of condoms is not congruent with our values and traditions,” the letter read, according to BC’s student newspaper, The Heights.

“While we understand that you may not be intentionally violating university policy, we do need to advise you that should we receive any reports that you are, in fact, distributing condoms on campus, the matter would be referred to the student conduct office for disciplinary action,” the letter continued.

The group’s chairwoman, Lizzie Jekanowski, told the Boston Globe that the university has known for more than two years that the group, which is not officially recognized by the school, gives out condoms.

“Young people have a right to the health care services and information that will allow them to make the best decisions for their health,” Jekanowski said in a press release. “By banning the distribution of condoms on campus, even in the privacy of students’ own dorm rooms, Boston College leaves a dangerous void in student health education, resources, and programming.”

The group contacted the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts after receiving the letter. Staff attorney Sarah Wunsch said she’ll take legal action if BC doesn’t reconsider its threat, which she called “entirely inappropriate.”

“I am very disturbed, and the students have rights that are at stake here,” Wunsch told the Globe. “We’re up to a fight, if they are up for a fight. But we’d rather not fight about this.”

BC spokesman Jack Dunn said the school has invited the students “to meet with administrators and members of the Jesuit community to discuss this issue in a respectful, constructive format.”

“As a Jesuit, Catholic university, there are certain Catholic commitments that Boston ­College is called to uphold,” Dunn wrote in an email to the Globe. “We ask our students to respect these commitments, particularly as they pertain to Catholic ­social teaching on the sanctity of life.”

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Easter 2014: The year's best bonnets

It's Easter, and that means it's time for Fifth Avenue to turn into a veritable catwalk of bonnet-wearers. The annual march, which kicks off at…

Local

Woman arrested for attempted kidnapping of baby in…

Authorities said that a Queens woman behind an attempted kidnapping of an 8-month-old baby boy was arrested on Saturday.

Local

Hate crime charge in attack on Sikh Columbia…

A man has been arrested and charged with a hate crime after he allegedly pulled the beard of a Sikh Columbia University professor as part…

Local

NYPD arrest man after finding body inside plastic…

Police said they found a man stuffed inside a plastic container in a Brooklyn home. Authorities arrested Joshua Simser, 24, in connection to the death

Television

Discovery cancels 'Everest Jump Live' special in wake…

The Discovery Channel has indicated it will not be moving forward with "Everest Jump Live," a planned special about mountain climber Joby Ogwyn's effort to…

The Word

'X-Men' director Bryan Singer drama continues

News broke late last week that "X-Men" and "The Usual Suspects" director Bryan Singer is being sued by a man who said Singer molested…

The Word

Miley Cyrus cancels more dates, tweeting from hospital

Miley Cyrus is reportedly so sick that she's had to postpone more tour dates. We know this because she has been sitting in a hospital…

Music

Loop are, er, um, back in the loop

Experimental noise rock band Loop's three mid-1980s to early-1990s albums, “Heavens End,” “Fade Out” and “A Gilded Eternity,” were mercifully reissued.

NHL

Rangers blow two-goal lead in Game 2 loss…

The Rangers got out to an early 2-0 lead in Game 2 and the Garden was rocking. But it went downhill quickly from there.

NBA

Deron Williams leads Nets over Raptors in Game…

The Nets traveled to a raucous Air Canada Centre but came out with an important Game 1 victory over the Raptors.

NBA

Carmelo Anthony agonizing over Knicks future as season…

There’s still the cloud hanging over the franchise’s head as to the pending free-agent status of All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony.

NFL

Jets host players with eye toward NFL Draft

The Jets hosted a number of NFL Draft hopefuls for workouts on Thursday, with an eye toward some under-the-radar players.

Travel

Packing: The one thing you need in your…

A new survey that looks at the travel habits of 50,000 people around the world has revealed that Western and Asian globetrotters have different priorities…

Home

Is your chair making it hard to talk?

Ever wished there was an office chair that could make impromptu meetings and discussions more private? The Cristiana Wing Chair is an asymmetrical armchair which…

Travel

Live large at these luxury hotels

From Thai boxing lessons and macabre Dracula tours to the Australian Outback, the Four Seasons hotel chain launched a series of new travel packages this…

Parenting

4 things that every summer camp should have

Alan Saltz, director of the 92nd street Y program lists things that every summer camp should have.