No ‘imminent threat’ after Boston Marathon explosions

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick  speaks at a press conference with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino (C) and FBI Special Agent in charge of Boston Richard DesLauriers (L) April 16, 2013 in the aftermath of two explosions that struck near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  Credit: Stan Honda/AFP/Getty Images
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, right, speaks at a press conference with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, center, and FBI Special Agent in charge of Boston Richard DesLauriers, left, on Tuesday. Credit: Stan Honda/AFP/Getty Images

Authorities said Tuesday that the two explosive devices that blew up near the Boston Marathon finish line were the only bombs found, and that there was no “imminent, physical threat” to the city.

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick called the blasts an “act of terror.”

Three people were killed in the explosions. Family members identified one of the victims as 8-year-old Martin Richard of Dorchester. Authorities have not released information about the other two fatalities.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said a total of 176 people went to area hospitals. Of those, 17 were in critical condition Tuesday morning.

There was no advance warning, according to Davis, who said the marathon route was swept for explosives twice on Monday, with nothing found.

No arrests have been made, but investigators were interviewing “a variety of witnesses at a variety of locations,” according to FBI Special Agent in Charge Richard DesLauriers, who heads the Boston field office.

“This will be a worldwide investigation,” DesLauriers said. “We will go to the ends of the earth to find the subject or subjects responsible for this despicable crime.”

DesLauriers said authorities had received numerous tips from the public, but urged anyone with information — especially photos or video of the area — to send them to law enforcement.

“I would encourage you to bring forward anything. You might not think it’s significant, but it might have some value to this investigation,” Massachusetts State Police Superintendent Colonel Timothy Alben said.

Witnesses were asked to call the FBI hotline, 800-CALL-FBI, and press option 3. Photos and videos should be emailed to boston@ic.fbi.gov or bpi.bpd@cityofboston.gov.

At midday Tuesday, 12 blocks remained closed off as a crime scene, which Davis called “the most complex crime scene in the history of the department.”

Investigators were working to open the area, but full access could be limited for several days, Davis said, asking people to be patient.

“We want people to come and go. We want you to live your life,” Davis said, adding, “We want you to be vigilant. … Give us a little room in the Copley Square area.”

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, himself released from the hospital only Monday, urged residents to be compassionate and cooperative.

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos



News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Brooklyn man charged in roommate's stabbing death

A Brooklyn man accused of violently stabbing his roommate to death on Monday is in police custody and faces murder charges.

International

Dinosaurs could have survived asteroid strike

It turns out there is a good and a bad time for the planet to be hit by a meteor, and dinosaurs were just unlucky.…

National

OkCupid admits to Facebook-style experimenting on customers

By Sarah McBrideSAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - OkCupid, a top U.S. matchmaking website, intentionally mismatched users to test its technology, the IAC/InterActive Corp service said on…

Local

MTA fares still increasing 4 percent in newly…

The agency said the 4 percent increases, previously announced in December, will remain steady even as the MTA deals with increasing labor costs.

Movies

Interview: Brendan Gleeson on the way 'Calvary' depicts…

Brendan Gleeson talks about how his new film "Calvary" began over drinks and how his character here is the opposite of the lead in "The Guard."

Movies

'Get on Up' producer Mick Jagger on the…

Mick Jagger, a producer on the James Brown biopic "Get on Up," talks about the time had to tell the singer some bad news and his favorite JB record.

Television

'Glee' star Lea Michele to appear on 'Sons…

"Glee" star Lea Michele has been confirmed as a guest star in the final season of "Sons of Anarchy."

Television

TV watch list, Monday, July 28: 'The Bachelorette'…

See Andi Dorfman make her big choice on tonight's 'Bachelorette' finale.

MLB

Angelo Cataldi: Ryan Howard deserves better from Phillies

Just last week, Ryan Howard endured the embarrassment of a benching that was inevitable, and yet still shocking.

NFL

Larry Donnell has inside track in Giants tight…

Little-known Larry Donnell of Grambling State currently has the inside track, as the second-year player has received the bulk of the first-team reps.

NFL

Computer to Jets: Start Michael Vick over Geno…

Jets general manager John Idzik says the choice of who starts between second-year quarterback Geno Smith and veteran Michael Vick will be a “Jets decision.”

MLB

Yankees looking to trade for Josh Willingham: Report

CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported Sunday the Yankees are interested in Twins outfielder Josh Willingham.

Travel

Glasgow: Hey, hey, the gangs aren't here

This European city has done a good job getting rid of its more violent residents and revitalizing with artists.

Education

Babson College tops list of best colleges for…

Money magazine has just released its inaugural list of "The Best Colleges for Your Money" -- and the answers have surprised many. Babson College, which…

Education

NYC teens learn how to develop apps during…

Through a program sponsored by CampInteractive, the high schoolers designed their own community-focused apps.

Tech

The Ministry of Silly Walks app is both…

Monty Python have dug into their back catalogue for cash-ins once more, but with the Ministry of Silly Walks app, they've made something that's fun too.