Welcome America! 2013 festivities revealed
The Roots will serve as the house band, but Jimmy Fallon isn’t coming.
“He does his own thing on the fourth,” Tariq “Blackthought” Trotter said Thursday.
The musical group, which usually serves as the house band for Fallon’s late-night talk show, were on hand Thursday as city officials read the lineup for the Wawa Welcome to America! festival.
This year The Roots will be joined by John Mayer, Ne-Yo, Demi Lovato, Ben Taylor, J. Cole, Grace Potter and Jill Scott.
Mayor Michael Nutter billed the event, which will take place on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway on July 4, as “the largest party in America.”
Despite requests, Nutter said he wouldn’t take the stage.
“I know my limitations,” he said.
Other events throughout the seven-day festival include:
- “Silver Linings Playbook” to play at Rittenhouse Square at 9 p.m. on July 1.
- National Constitution Center offers free admission all day July 2.
- Wawa, the title sponsor of the event, will distribute four tons of free hoagies at the Independence Visitor Center Lawn on Market Street between Fifth and Sixth streets from noon to 2 p.m. on July 2.
- Peter Nero and Philly Pops! perform free concert at Independence Hall at 8 p.m. on July 3
- Day-long Party on the Parkway starts at noon and ends at 10 p.m. with a fireworks display over the Philadelphia Museum of Art on July 4.
- Taste of Philly extends from July 5 through July 7.