Harvard dean behind email searches resigning

Harvard University searched the emails of its resident deans to find a whistle blower. Photo Credit: safrin.blogs.unhas.ac.id -
Harvard University searched the emails of its resident deans to find a whistle blower. Credit: safrin.blogs.unhas.ac.id

The dean of Harvard College, Evelynn Hammonds, announced Tuesday that she would step down this summer following months of controversy over her decision to authorize secret searches of faculty email.

Hammonds, who will remain a professor at the prestigious university, acknowledged giving conflicting accounts about her decision to scan the subject lines of email accounts belonging to 16 deans, in search of correspondence relating to a major cheating scandal among Harvard students.

She apologized to the faculty last month and acknowledged that the episode had eroded trust on campus.

Hammonds, who was the first African-American and the first woman to be appointed dean of Harvard College, did not refer to the cheating scandal or the email search in a brief statement issued Tuesday as she announced she would step down July 1. She had served as dean for five years.

“Being dean of Harvard College has been an immensely rewarding experience for me, but I miss engaging deeply with my scholarship and teaching,” Hammonds said.

Hammonds authorized two separate searches to try to identify the dean who leaked a confidential memo about a large student cheating case to reporters for the school newspaper, the Harvard Crimson. She said no emails were opened and no content was read, but acknowledged she had investigators scan the subject lines and search for the student reporters’ names. The deans were not notified of the search.

Her apology last month did not quell the anger on campus. The Crimson called for Hammonds’ resignation in an editorial that said her handling of the email searches “damages Harvard as an institution and as a community.”

Hammonds was also criticized for the slow pace of investigation into the cheating scandal. The first allegations that students had plagiarized and collaborated on a take-home final surfaced last spring, but it was not until this winter that the university announced about 60 students had been suspended and about 30 put on disciplinary probation.

A physicist and engineer by training, Hammonds said she will take a sabbatical, then return to Harvard to head up a new program looking at the role of race and gender in science and medicine.

Harvard President Drew Faust praised Hammonds in a statement, saying she had revitalized undergraduate programs and promoted “a culture of inclusion and community.”

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
International

Dinosaurs could have survived asteroid strike

It turns out there is a good and a bad time for the planet to be hit by a meteor, and dinosaurs were just unlucky.…

National

OkCupid admits to Facebook-style experimenting on customers

By Sarah McBrideSAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - OkCupid, a top U.S. matchmaking website, intentionally mismatched users to test its technology, the IAC/InterActive Corp service said on…

Local

MTA fares still increasing 4 percent in newly…

The agency said the 4 percent increases, previously announced in December, will remain steady even as the MTA deals with increasing labor costs.

Local

De Blasio, Bratton defend city's efforts after Eric…

Mayor Bill de Blasio justified the city's response to the death of Eric Garner, a Staten Island man who died while in police custody earlier this month.

Movies

Interview: Brendan Gleeson on the way 'Calvary' depicts…

Brendan Gleeson talks about how his new film "Calvary" began over drinks and how his character here is the opposite of the lead in "The Guard."

Movies

'Get on Up' producer Mick Jagger on the…

Mick Jagger, a producer on the James Brown biopic "Get on Up," talks about the time had to tell the singer some bad news and his favorite JB record.

Television

'Glee' star Lea Michele to appear on 'Sons…

"Glee" star Lea Michele has been confirmed as a guest star in the final season of "Sons of Anarchy."

Television

TV watch list, Monday, July 28: 'The Bachelorette'…

See Andi Dorfman make her big choice on tonight's 'Bachelorette' finale.

NFL

Larry Donnell has inside track in Giants tight…

Little-known Larry Donnell of Grambling State currently has the inside track, as the second-year player has received the bulk of the first-team reps.

NFL

Computer to Jets: Start Michael Vick over Geno…

Jets general manager John Idzik says the choice of who starts between second-year quarterback Geno Smith and veteran Michael Vick will be a “Jets decision.”

MLB

Yankees looking to trade for Josh Willingham: Report

CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported Sunday the Yankees are interested in Twins outfielder Josh Willingham.

MLB

Joe Torre: I'm in Hall of Fame because…

Joe Torre spent 18 years putting together a near Hall of Fame career as a player. But it was the 12 years he spent as…

Travel

Glasgow: Hey, hey, the gangs aren't here

This European city has done a good job getting rid of its more violent residents and revitalizing with artists.

Education

Babson College tops list of best colleges for…

Money magazine has just released its inaugural list of "The Best Colleges for Your Money" -- and the answers have surprised many. Babson College, which…

Education

NYC teens learn how to develop apps during…

Through a program sponsored by CampInteractive, the high schoolers designed their own community-focused apps.

Tech

The Ministry of Silly Walks app is both…

Monty Python have dug into their back catalogue for cash-ins once more, but with the Ministry of Silly Walks app, they've made something that's fun too.