PHOTOS: Remembering Sandy Hook Elementary School 6 months later
Today marks six months since the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre.
On December 14, 2012, 20 first graders and six teachers were shot down in the Newtown school.
Many families of Newtown victims have turned to activism – many fighting for harsher gun legislation.
“We’re not going away. This mother’s heartbreak that I carry, this life sentence that I have, no one should ever bear this burden,” said Nelba Marquez-Greene.
President Barack Obama with relatives of the Sandy Hook victims on Thursday to thank them for urging Congress to pass new gun laws.
Last week the families of victims succeeded in keeping the graphic images and audio recordings of the crime scene sealed. Connecticut lawmakers passed a bill that would keep the photos and recording away from the media. The 911 calls will be made public.
“We are incredibly thankful for the immense outpouring of public support that our families have received from individuals and communities throughout the country, and especially in this endeavor, as we sought to help keep private the multitude of photos taken of the death scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School,” Nicole Hockley, one of the parents who started the petition said in a statement. Hockley’s 6-year-old son Dylan died on December 14. “The support and encouragement of more than 100,000 people across the country helped to inspire us in our advocacy, and build momentum for our cause. And for that, all of our families and our community could not be more grateful.”
Newtown marked the six month anniversary with a ceremony and a moment of silence Friday.