Boston Strangler DNA results expected later this week
The body of Albert DeSalvo, the man notoriously referred to as the Boston Strangler, was exhumed from a Peabody cemetery Friday in the hopes of linking him to the murder of 19-year-old Mary Sullivan.
DeSalvo, who died in prison in 1973 while serving time for other crimes, confessed to the killings of 11 women between 1962 and 1964, but was never convicted.
His remains were taken to the Office of the Medical Examiner, located on Albany Street in Boston, where a DNA sample will be taken in an effort to definitively determine DeSalvo’s connection to Sullivan.
Police and prosecutors said it is the first time they have had evidence linking him to her death.
“In most people’s eyes, Albert DeSalvo had been known as the Boston Strangler, but without direct evidence linking him. … Legitimate questions lingered about that perpetrator,” said Attorney General Martha Coakley.
The DNA profile extraction and comparison testing is expected to be completed later this week, according to Suffolk District Attorney spokesman Jake Wark.
“We’re eager to receive the results. Once we have them, we expect to notify the victim’s family first and then make them public,” Wark said yesterday.
The exhumation was ordered by a Superior Court judge at the request of Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, Attorney General Martha Coakley and Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis.