Clover Food Labs shut down over salmonella concerns
Food truck regulars likely noticed a mobile food staple was missing from yesterday’s lunch hour.
Clover Food Labs, a Cambridge-based restaurant that operates food trucks throughout the Boston-area, announced it has temporarily halted business after learning that people who had been infected by salmonella ate its food in the days leading up to their illness.
“This is something we take very seriously,” Clover founder and CEO Ayr Muir wrote on the company’s website. “Clover has never been responsible for any food poisoning or food borne illness that we know of. That’s because we operate clean and take this sort of thing really, really seriously.”
The company does not yet know the source of the salmonella, but epidemiologist are looking into it. The Massachusetts Department of Public Health Spokeswoman Anne Roach said there have been twelve confirmed cases.
“(We are) working with Cambridge and other communities to investigate and identify the source of a recent salmonella outbreak,” Roach said.
Salmonella germs are common in uncooked animal food products, such as eggs and meat, as well as unpasteurized milk and dairy. According to the Centers for Disease Control, there are 42,000 cases are reported annually in the U.S., and it’s more prevalent in the summer months.
The most recent case of salmonella the state is aware of is from June 27.
As a precaution, Muir decided to close the four brick and mortar restaurants as well as Clover’s food trucks until further notice.
“We don’t want even the chance to creating illness, so we thought it best to close our operations until we know more,” Muir wrote.
He said employees are scrubbing restaurants and trucks, as well as checking ingredients and testing workers for the bacteria.