(Updated) Celtic Jared Sullinger says he’s ‘embarrassed’ by arrest
Boston Celtics forward Jared Sullinger pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to allegedly assaulting his girlfriend during a domestic incident at a Waltham home over the holiday weekend.
In a statement released through the Celtics Tuesday afternoon, Sullinger said he was embarrassed and humbled.
“I voluntarily reported to the Waltham police this morning to respond to charges against me. The experience was humbling and embarrassing for me. Yet I know that this situation has brought both sorrow and embarrassment to my girlfriend, my family, the Boston Celtics organization, my teammates, and my fans. To all of you, I apologize from the bottom of my heart. My lawyers have advised me not to discuss the case at this time. But I wanted to immediately and publicly apologize to everyone affected by this situation,” Sullinger said in the statement.
Sullinger pleaded not guilty in Waltham District Court to assault and battery, malicious destruction of property and intimidating a witness. He was ordered held on $5,000 cash bail and was ordered to have no contact with his girlfriend unless there was a third person of her choosing present.
Waltham police said officers were called to a home just before 8 p.m. Saturday for a report of a domestic incident. When they got there they found that Sullinger’s girlfriend had been assaulted. Sullinger was not at the home when officers arrived, said Sgt. Detective Joseph Guigno.
Guigno said Sullinger’s girlfriend was not currently hospitalized and is doing OK.A warrant for Sullinger’s arrest was issued over the weekend and he turned himself in at about 6 a.m. Tuesday.
Sullinger, 21, played in 45 games for the Celtics last season, his first year as a pro basketball player. The 6 foot-9 inch, 260-pound player came to the Celtics from Ohio State University.
The Celtics also released a statement Tuesday afternoon.
“The Celtics were disappointed to learn of the allegations against Jared and are currently gathering more information on the situation, which we are taking very seriously. We will reserve further comment until such point that we have sufficient additional information,” the statement said.
Follow Michael Naughton on Twitter @metrobosmike.