Libyan militant suspected in Benghazi attack arrives in US
The Libyan militia leader suspected in the 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi that killed four Americans was in federal custody on Saturday morning, the U.S. attorney’s office in Washington said.
“Ahmed Abu Khatallah is in law enforcement custody,” said Bill Miller, spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office for the District of Columbia. CNN and the New York Times reported that Khatallah was taken to a federal court in Washington from a Navy warship where he had been held since his June 15 capture.
Miller would not comment on where Khatallah was being held, but there was there was heightened security around the federal courthouse building near the U.S. Capitol in Washington, with two or three U.S. marshals at each of the building’s corners.
Khatallah was taken aboard the USS New York, an amphibious transport ship, after his seizure by U.S. special operations forces in a raid on the outskirts of Benghazi. He is expected to face prosecution in the U.S.
U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack. Khatallah is charged with killing a person on U.S. property, a firearms violation and providing material support to terrorism.