Douglas Kennedy charged with harassment, child endangerment
Robert F. Kennedy’s son’s tussle with two hospital nurses has lead to misdemeanor charges against him.
Douglas Kennedy, 44, was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and two counts of harassment following a Jan. 7 incident at Northern Westchester Hospital in Mount Kisco, N.Y., his lawyer, Robert Gottlieb, said.
Kennedy is a Fox News reporter and the 10th child of the late Robert F. Kennedy and Ethel Kennedy.
The clash occurred when two nurses at the suburban New York hospital physically tried to stop Kennedy from taking his newborn son, Bo, out of the maternity ward.
As Kennedy was leaning against a door to back out of the maternity ward, a nurse came toward him, Gottlieb said. An argument broke out and Kennedy allegedly turned violent, twisting
the arm of one nurse and kicking another in the pelvic area, according to WNBC-TV, which first reported the incident.
Both nurses filed police reports that night and Kennedy was arrested on Thursday of last week.
Kennedy and his wife, Molly, said in a statement the allegations were “absurd.”
“It is sickening to think that our simple desire to take our son outside for fresh air has been warped into a charge of child endangerment,” the couple said.
Dr. Timothy Haydock, an emergency room physician at Northern Westchester Hospital and a close family friend, issued a statement through Gottlieb’s office.
“I witnessed the incident and I can state unequivocally that the nurses were the only aggressors,” Haydock said.
Kennedy’s attorney, Robert Gottlieb, claims Kennedy had already received permission from other nurses to take his newborn son for a walk.
“Douglas did not do anything wrong. All he wanted to do was to take his newborn son out for fresh air,” Gottlieb said.
However, the attorney for the two maternity nurses claims the hospital was in a “code pink” — the hospital alert for a newborn abduction — when Kennedy tried to take his bundled-up newborn off the floor for a walk, according to the New York Post.
“They have been instructed as per hospital guidelines that each newborn cannot leave the ward without written permission by medical personnel,” said Eliot Taub, lawyer for nurses Anna Lane and Cari Luciano.
“It is preposterous and absurd to think that any of the nurses thought that Douglas Kennedy, who they knew very well, was trying to steal his own child,” Kennedy’s attorney, Robert Gottlieb said.
“I don’t think that anybody, even a Kennedy, should go around kicking hospital personnel and believe there are no ramifications,” Steve Luciano, husband of Cari Luciano, one of the nurses, said to the Daily News.