It’s game over for more than 3,000 sex offenders

John Walsh

The online video game accounts of more than 3,500 registered New York sex offenders have been deleted, the state’s Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced Thursday.

Under New York State law, convicted sex offenders must register not only their home address with law enforcement, but also their e-mail address and any other Internet identifiers, such as online screen names.

The New York Attorney General’s office then made those names available to companies like Microsoft, Apple, Electronic Arts, Disney, Warner Brothers and Sony — all of which run popular online interactive games such as “Call of Duty” and “World of Warcraft.”

Those companies voluntarily agreed to purge the accounts, or at least have the user’s communication privileges suspended, according to Schneiderman’s office.

But the New York Civil Liberties Union expressed some concern with the Attorney General’s program, calling the intent admirable but invasive.

“Schemes like this one … trample on the right to free speech and expression,” said Jennifer Carnig, a spokeswoman for the NYCLU. “And the problem this initiative is trying to solve is almost non-existent. Children are almost always abused by people they know.”

Never been done in New York before

“Operation Game Over,” as the AG’s initiative was called, marks the first time anything like that had been done in New York state, and child safety advocates praised both the AG and the companies for agreeing to delete the accounts.

“We know sex offenders target and lure children and how they look at the online community as their private hunting ground,” said John Walsh, co-founder of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and host of “America’s Most Wanted.”

“This sends a strong message that sexual predators can’t hide behind anonymous profiles online anymore,” said Mary Haviland, who runs the New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault. 

Boy abused after he met man online

Earlier this month, Richard Kretovic, a 19-year-old man from Monroe County, N.Y., pled guilty to sexual abuse charges after meeting a 10-year-old boy on the popular online video game system Xbox LIVE. The man gained the boy’s trust over a period of three months, say police, and then invited the child over to his house, which is where the sexual abuse occurred.



News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Mayor reveals new tech hub Digital.NYC

Mayor Bill de Blasio revealed Digital.NYC on Wednesday, a new online platform aimed at connecting all things tech in New York City. The public-private partnership…

Local

Falling debris hits two men in Times Square

Two men were taken to the hospital Wednesday morning after being hit by falling debris from 110 feet above Times Square. Nancy Greco from the…

Local

Queens Assemblyman William Scarborough accused of misusing campaign…

Queens Assemblyman William Scarborough has been indicted on state and federal charges for allegedly withdrawing campaign funds as cash for personal use. Scarborough, a Democrat…

News

U.S. Secret Service director Pierson resigns under fire

U.S. Secret Service Director Julia Pierson resigned under fire on Wednesday after a series of security lapses came to light.

Television

TV watch list, Wednesday, Oct. 1: 'Criminal Minds,'…

The "Criminal Minds" team adds some supernatural assistance, as the "Ghost Whisperer" herself, Jennifer Love Hewitt, joins the show. She's playing an FBI agent, but you never know when someone…

Music

See the most popular Pandora station in your…

Who knew Bachata music was so popular?

The Word

The Word: Twilight just won't die

You thought our "Twilight" days were behind us, didn't you? Well think again. Series creator Stephenie Meyer (who would rather you not ask about "Twilight"…

Going Out

Which NYC restaurant lost its three-star Michelin rating?

A record 73 restaurants in New York City collected coveted Michelin stars on Tuesday as a mix of trendy spots and fine-dining stalwarts underscored the…

NFL

Rex Ryan fields more questions about Geno Smith,…

The idea Geno Smith will be replaced by backup Michael Vick appears to be all smoke, as the Jets are intent to ride with their second-round draft pick.

NFL

Will Beatty playing like franchise left tackle again…

Left tackle Will Beatty, who is the elder-statesman of Giants’ line, has turned around his season and become a consistent force on Manning’s blindside.

NFL

John Conner back with Jets for second stint

He'll be back. It's "Terminator 2" for the Jets, who brought back John Conner to the team on Tuesday after placing fullback Tommy Bohanon on…

NFL

Fantasy football: Ben Tate to break out, Larry…

Fantasy football: Ben Tate to break out, Larry Donnell will stay solid

Career

Creating a support system for minority women in…

When Kathryn Finney founded digitalundivided — an organization devoted to engaging minority communities with the tech world — she didn’t know quite what to expect.…

Sex

We can learn a lot from animals about…

There’s a lot we can learn about love from the birds and the bees — and the chickens, monkeys and squirrels that we share the…

Style

Saint Laurent

Our review of the Saint Laurent Spring '15 show at Paris Fashion Week.

Style

Céline: Paris Fashion Week Spring 2015

Our review of the Celine Spring '15 show during Paris Fashion Week.