Winter pet-safety tips from the ASPCA
The ASPCA has safety tips for pet-owners as temperatures plummet.
- Dogs can lose their scent in a snowstorm and get lost, so it’s especially important in winter to use a leash and make sure all ID tags are firmly on.
- No short haircuts! It’s important Fluffy stays fluffy and warm in this chilly weather.
- Make sure your four-legged friend is completely dry after baths and before walks.
- Short-haired dogs should wear coats or sweaters that cover their whole backs, preferably with a high collar or a turtleneck.
- Never leave pets alone in a car, especially in winter. Temperatures very suddenly inside vehicles.
- A warm place to sleep is crucial, off the floor and away from any drafts. Dog or cat beds with a pillow or blanket are recommended.
Follow Danielle Tcholakian on Twitter @danielleiat