Anthony Weiner admits sexting after resignation, wife Huma Abedin speaks out
Alongside his wife, Mayoral hopeful Anthony Weiner admitted Tuesday that he engaged in lewd conversations with strangers online even after his resignation in 2011.
“Some of them happened after my resignation,” Weiner said in response to report that he had engaged in such conversations as recent as last fall.
“With 49 days left till Primary Day, perhaps I’m surprised that more things didn’t come out sooner,” Weiner said.
Weiner’s wife, Huma Abedin, also spoke following the new report, saying his resignation was just the beginning of a time in their marriage “that was very difficult.”
“Our marriage, like many others, has had its ups and its downs,” Abedin said. “It took a lot of work and a whole lot of therapy to get to a place where I could forgive Anthony.”
The couple spoke the day after nightlife website The Dirty posted screenshots of several lewd conversations allegedly between Weiner and an anonymous woman who claims to have continued their relationship until at least November 2012.
“She really thought Anthony Weiner and her were in love, they spoke on the phone daily multiple times a day for 6 months,” wrote The Dirty publisher Nik Ritchie in a post with the screenshots. “Anthony Weiner played with her emotions and mind. Most calls were phone sex.”
In his statement, Weiner said “some things that have been posted today are true and some are not, there is no question that what I did was wrong.” He said he would not “dispute anything that’s out there.”
In one of the conversations revealed this week, the user identified as Weiner asked the anonymous woman, “Can you hard delete all our chats here?” In the conversations, Weiner also allegedly used the alias “Carlos Danger.”
Weiner said that, before announcing his bid for mayor, he told Abedin the details of his online conversations.
Abedin said choosing to stay with Weiner “was not an easy choice” and that the couple had been to therapy.
“We decided this was something that we could work through together,” Weiner said.
Weiner launched his campaign for mayor in May and was considered a long shot until several polls showed him neck-and-neck or head of City Council Speaker Christine Quinn in the Democratic primary.
In his statements, Weiner expressed an interest in moving forward.
“It’s in our rearview mirror but it’s not far behind,” he said.
Following the new allegations, other candidates for mayor called on Weiner to drop out of the race.
Democratic candidate and former Councilman Sal Albanese said in a statement the revelations show Weiner is “unfit” to be mayor.
John Catsimatidis, Republican candidate and head of Gristedes Foods, also called for Weiner to drop out “so we can end this soap opera.”
Public Advocate Bill de Blasio said mayoral candidates should address issues New Yorkers care about, such as education, jobs and affordable housing.
“But the sideshows of this election have gotten in the way of the debate we should be having about the future of this city,” de Blasio said in a statement.
But Weiner shrugged off the candidates’ statements.
“I’m sure many of my opponents would like me to drop out of the race,” he said.
Follow Anna Sanders on Twitter: @AnnaESanders