Three children die in Bronx fire started by candle after apartment’s power is shut off
Three boys were killed in a fire started by a candle in the kitchen of a Bronx apartment without any power Friday night, officials said.
Authorities responded to the fire at the apartment near Yankee Stadium just after 8 p.m. Six people, including five children, were removed from the apartment and taken to Lincoln Hospital, fire and police officials said.
Elijah and Jeremiah Artis, 5 and 2 years old, and 4-month-old Michael Turner were declared dead at the hospital, police said.
A 25-year-old woman and a 4-year-old girl were treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire was under control around 9:10 p.m., the fire department said. Fire marshals determined Saturday that the blaze was caused by a candle in the apartment’s kitchen.
Allan Drury, a spokesman for Con Edison, said power had been shut off at the apartment because money was owed on the account.
Drury added that the utility company encourages customers to call if they’re having trouble paying bills.
Con Ed tries to work with customers before the power is shut off, he said.
Follow Anna Sanders on Twitter: @AnnaESanders