Mobster Whitey Bulger is on the move to new facility
That question was frequently asked when mob boss James “Whitey” Bulger was on the run for about 16 years, but now it’s being asked as federal authorities are moving the 84-year-old.
Bulger’s current status on the federal Bureau of Prisons website lists him as “in transit.” Bulger’s status was listed as “not in BOP custody” throughout his trial when he was being kept in the Plymouth County Correctional Facility.
A spokeswoman for the BOP said that an inmate’s location is not released until after they arrive at a facility.
A message left for a spokesman from the US Marshals Service for the District of Massachusetts was not immediately returned. The Marshals Service has been overseeing and handling the transportation of Bulger.
A federal judge sentenced Bulger last week to two life sentences plus five years behind bars. Bugler’s attorney, Hank Brennan, filed a notice of appeal on Wednesday.
Bulger could also face charges for murders in Florida and Oklahoma. Terry Chavez, a spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade Office of the State Attorney, said prosecutors there had filed a detainer requesting that Bulger be held until they’re ready to potentially prosecute him. Chavez said Thursday afternoon that as far as she knew, Bulger was not in transit to them.
Follow Michael Naughton on Twitter @metrobosmike.