Boston has first 2 murders of 2014
While it’s only 10 days into the new year, the city of Boston has already racked up its first two murders of 2014.
The incidents occurred just hours apart. After responding to a call on Thursday evening, police declared one individual deceased on the scene of a stabbing in the area of 139 Margaretta Drive in Hyde Park. The stabbing was the result of an argument between two men.
William Earl, 20, of Boston, was arrested and charged in connection with the case, police later revealed.
The second murder was a shooting death, which took place in Roslindale. Authorities were called to Rowe Street to deal with the victim’s multiple shotgun wounds, according to police.
The murders come just a day after new Boston Police Commissioner Bill Evans declared that his mission would be to curb the violence dominating the city.
“We see the young kids, the faces on them when they see this violence. We see the elderly held captive in their neighborhoods. That’s something, honestly, when I go out there, that’s what I hate to see, that people are fearful,” Evans said, the Metro previously reported.
New Superintendent-in-Chief William Gross echoed the commissioner’s sentiments, saying “You want to reduce violence …we have to do this together. Everyone has to do their job in the community to the best of their ability. Everyone has to put aside their differences and work together,” Gross said. “I can’t wait to get started.”
Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBOS