Man dies in Center City high-rise fire
A 60-year-old man died from smoke inhalation after a fire started in his 10th-floor apartment in a Center City high-rise Wednesday.
The fire started about 3:45 p.m. at Walnut Square Apartments, a 13-story building located on the 200 block of South 13th Street, 6ABC Action News reports.
It took firefighters about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control. The victim was rushed to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead from smoke inhalation and a resulting heart attack.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to one unit, but residents on the 10th, 11th and 12th floors couldn’t stay in their homes due to smoke damage, according to the Action News report.