Carbon monoxide leak at Long Island mall kills 1, injures 27

Four people were hospitalized Monday morning after a carbon monoxide leak in Rhawnhurst.
Carbon monoxide alarm.

Homicide and arson detectives on Sunday were investigating a carbon monoxide leak inside a restaurant at a shopping mall on New York’s Long Island that left one person dead and 27 other people injured.

The Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington Station, about 40 miles east of New York City, remained closed on Sunday after the leak detected on Saturday night forced the evacuation of the establishment and three nearby eateries.

Suffolk County police responded to the mall around 6 p.m. after reports that a Legal Sea Foods employee had collapsed and fallen down a flight of stairs.

As police cleared the restaurant of its customers, officers found 55-year-old manager, Steven Nelson, unconscious in the basement. He died of cardiac arrest as he was being transferred by ambulance to Huntington Hospital, according to hospital spokeswoman Julie Robinson-Tingue.

Twenty-seven other victims, including four ambulance personnel and three police officers, were transported to five area hospitals with non-life threatening symptoms, police said. Most of the victims were restaurant workers.

Both homicide and arson squads from the Suffolk County Police Department were investigating the poisonings, with the restaurant’s heating equipment believed to be the source of the carbon monoxide leak, police said.

A Suffolk County police spokeswoman declined to comment when asked whether foul play has been ruled out.

The incident appeared to be confined to the basement of the restaurant, Suffolk County Police Lieutenant Jack Fitzpatrick said on Saturday.

The restaurant is free standing but adjoins the popular mall, which remained opened during the incident was expected to stay open as normal on Sunday.

Two restaurants near Legal Sea Foods, Panera Bread and The Cheesecake Factory, also were evacuated on Saturday evening, The Cheesecake Factory had reopened on Sunday but Panera Bread remained closed.

Legal Sea Foods, which has locations around the northeastern and mid-Atlantic United States, said in several postings on Twitter it was “devastated by the news of carbon monoxide poisoning,” and that it was “profoundly saddened to learn of the tragic death of our General Manager Steve Nelson,” adding “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

A restaurant representative who answered the phone at company headquarters in Boston on Sunday said company officials were unavailable to comment until Monday.

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness or death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by car engines, gas ranges or heating systems.

Symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion, the CDC said on its website.


News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
National

Cleavage complaint: Disneyland staffer orders curvy mom to…

A curvy mom-of-three says she filed a formal complaint after staff at Disneyland Resort in California ordered her to cover up her boobs. Melissa Behnken,…

International

Canadian charged in 'Heartbleed' attack on tax agency

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadian police have arrested a 19-year-old man and charged him in connection with exploiting the "Heartbleed" bug to steal taxpayer data from…

National

Every dog has his day in court, in…

(Reuters) - Call him juror K-9.A computer glitch is likely to blame for a summons that called a German Shepherd to report for jury duty,…

Local

Local politicians pressure DOJ to investigate Ramarley Graham…

On what would have been his 21st birthday, Ramarley Graham's mother joined elected leaders to ask the U.S. Department of Justice investigate his death.

Television

‘Survivor: Cagayan’ recap: Episode 8

Sure, it's called Survivor. But this season should really be called 'The Tony Show.'

Television

Jim Rash talks 'The Writer's Room' and amazing…

For Jim Rash, as the fifth season of "Community" comes to a close, the second season of "The Writer's Room" begins.

Going Out

Tasty chicken and waffles in NYC

Try some soul food goodness around the city.

Television

'Dexter' star Jennifer Carpenter moves into producing role

The actress who played the title character's sister in "Dexter" is teaming up with producer George Stelzner to adapt Erika Hayasaki's book "The Death Class:…

NBA

Knicks wrap up season with win over Raptors

The Knicks wrapped up their season as it began — undermanned — but that still didn’t deter them from ending it the right way.

MLB

Adam Warren closes out doubleheader sweep for Yankees

Adam Warren navigated a tricky ninth inning earn the Yankees a 2-0 victory over the Cubs.

NHL

Marc Staal healthy, eager to contribute to Rangers…

Marc Staal remembers the feeling of helplessness watching his teammates compete for hockey’s ultimate prize and being unable to contribute.

NFL

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Updated, new April version

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Updated, new April version

Wellbeing

This Week in Health: chocolate may prevent obesity…

Can chocolate prevent obesity and diabetes? Location of study: U.S. Study subjects: Mice Results: The positive health benefits of chocolate have been studied increasingly more…

Wellbeing

This Week in Health News: breastfed infants trying…

Are breastfed infants trying to prevent mom from having another baby? Theory: The act of breastfeeding not only brings mom and baby closer together –…

Wellbeing

Unexplained infertility may be caused by lack of…

Researchers have identified a protein on the egg's surface that interacts with another protein on the surface of sperm, allowing the two cells to join.

Tech

5 surprising facts about Google Glass

Your sex life could get more interesting.