Cuomo vows to visit East Harlem explosion site
After getting some heat from the City Council speaker, Gov. Andrew Cuomo told reporters on Wednesday that he would soon visit the East Harlem explosion site.
Cuomo told reporters at an unrelated upstate event that the state has had a presence at the scene since last week’s blast that killed eight and injured at least 60 people.
“I will visit the site,” Cuomo said, “but we’ve been working very hard with the city administration. We had people there, literally, within hours.”
The governor didn’t indicate when he would go, but City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, who represents the district where the buildings collapsed, told the Daily News that she was looking forward to his visit.
Days after the two buildings on Park Avenue were leveled in the suspected gas explosion, Mark-Viverito sent out a tweet that some observers interpreted as a dig at Cuomo.
Tax 500k + earners=outrageous, hedge fund backed charters=enthusiastic support, raise min wage=not on my watch, #EastHarlemExplosion=SILENCE
— Melissa MarkViverito (@MMViverito) March 15, 2014
Cuomo told reporters earlier in the week that he hadn’t spoken to the speaker about the tweet.
Follow Chester Jesus Soria on Twitter @chestersoria