2014 Boston Marathon results: Rita Jeptoo defends women’s title
Rita Jeptoo, of Kenya, defended her Boston Marathon title Monday with a strong late surge that left the rest of the field in the dust.
Jeptoo’s unofficial time of 2:18:56 was a new course record and beat her personal best time of 2:19:57.
Jeptoo also won Boston in 2006 with a time of 2:23:38.
Marblehead, Mass., native and Boston favorite Shalane Flanagan was ahead of the pack for the majority of the first hour of the race but started lagging just prior to Heartbreak Hill. Flanagan still finished with a personal best time of 2:22:02.
Here are the top 10 finishers:
1. Jeptoo, Rita 2:18:57, Kenya
2. Deba, Buzunesh 2:19:59, Ethiopia
3. Dibaba, Mare 2:20:35, Ethiopia
4. Sumgong, Jemima Jelagat 2:20:41, Kenya
5. Melkamu, Meselech 2:21:28, Ethiopia
6. Duliba, Aleksandra 2:21:29, Belarus
7. Flanagan, Shalane 2:22:02, Oregon
8. Cherop, Sharon 2:23:00, Kenya
9. Ongori, Philes 2:23:2, Kenya
10. Linden, Desiree 2:23:54, Michigan