White House: Boston Marathon explosions to be handled as ‘act of terror’
The White House does not yet know who planned and carried out explosions at the Boston Marathon but is handling the incident as “an act of terror,” a White House official said on Monday.
“Any event with multiple explosive devices – as this appears to be – is clearly an act of terror, and will be approached as an act of terror,” the official said.
“However, we don’t yet know who carried out this attack, and a thorough investigation will have to determine whether it was planned and carried out by a terrorist group, foreign or domestic,” the official said.
President Obama had previously refrained from calling the incident an act of terror during a televised press conference Monday afternoon.