Iowa couple claims they found marijuana in McDonald’s burger
An Iowa couple claims that a McDonald’s burger they purchased last month came with a serving of marijuana on it.
Cory Long, 31, and Brittany Songer, 23, say they found marijuana inside a McDouble they bought on April 26 in Ottumwa, Iowa.
Songer, who is pregnant, said she was hungry at work so her fiance brought her two McDoubles from her favorite McDonald’s, The Ottumwa Evening Post reported.
Long took a small bite of one of the burgers before he left Songer, but he didn’t notice anything, Songer said.
When Songer took a bite, however, she immediately noticed that it tasted bad. She thought it was because her fiance touched the food with cologne on his hands until she opened the burger.
“I opened the burger and the cheese was just covered with weed,” she said. “You couldn’t smell McDonald’s anymore. You could only smell the illegal drugs that were on it.”
Songer said she put the sandwich in the bathroom at work until her shift ended. Once she finished work, she and Long returned to McDonald’s and called police.
The burger in question has been sent to a lab for testing, The Post reported.
“So far it is just alleged that it is marijuana, we haven’t gotten any results back from the [Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation] Lab in reference to the substance on the burgers,” Lieutenant Jason Bell of the Ottumwa Police Department told the Post.
Though it has not yet been confirmed that there was marijuana on the burger, Bell said there was a substance that appeared to have been intentionally placed on the burger. Police are actively investigating who put it there, he said.
McDonald’s has fully cooperated with police and provided the department with surveillance footage, Bell said.
Police expect to receive the lab results in approximately two months, which is the normal length of time for any lab submission, Bell said.
If results show that marijuana was on the McDouble, the charge pressed would be Administering a Harmful Substance, a Class D Felony, the Post reported.
It is also likely that the couple will sue McDonald’s, Bell said.
Neither Long nor Songer suffered medical side effects or sought medical attention after ingesting the burger.
Ottumwa Police believe this was an isolated incident because there haven’t been any similar reports or complaints.