Tom Werner next MLB commissioner? Cliffs Notes on the Red Sox chairman
Red Sox chairman Tom Werner is one of three finalists to become the next commissioner of Major League Baseball. Owners will vote between Werner, current MLB COO Rob Manfred and current MLB Executive VP of Business Tim Brosnan on Aug. 14.
For those hoping for sweeping, radical change to the game, you’ll likely have to wait another 25 years. Manfred and Brosnan are, by most accounts, Selig clones and are the favorites. Werner is the long-shot, but even if he were implemented as commish don’t expect the speed of the game to change or the height of the mound to be altered. Werner has made it this far simply because the thought is that he could get MLB even more money through TV deals.
Here’s the rundown of his accomplishments:
- Former Senior VP of prime time development at ABC
- Launched the TV show “Mork and Mindy”
- Helped launch “Taxi,” “Bosom Buddies” and “SOAP”
- Was an executive producer for “The Cosby Show,” “Roseanne” and “That 70s Show”
Here’s the rundown of his blunders:
- Invited Roseanne Barr to sing the national anthem while owner of the Padres. The following happened, and America was outraged:
- Broke up with Katie Couric via e-mail
- Tried to get Red Sox fans to chant, “Let’s go Red Sox!” prior to last year’s World Series victory parade and this happened:
Follow Metro Boston sports editor and columnist Matt Burke on Twitter: @BurkeMetroBOS