A trashed house and an inspiring tour

1.  Wade Belak
Another NHL enforcer died this week — the third this summer — but no one saw this coming. Belak seemed like the happiest, funniest, most self-deprecating dude around. Everyone liked him. He lived in my old hood for a while and every time you saw him with his wife and daughters, he was smiling. That’s what people will remember most about the big boy from Saskatchewan. His big, permanent smile.

2. Lloyd Robertson Says Goodbye

Lloyd Robertson, “Canada’s most trusted newscaster,” signed off as CTV anchorman last night after 35 years at CTV, and 60 years in broadcasting. Lloyd, who covered the first moon landing, JFK’s assassination, the fall of the Berlin Wall and 9/11, wrote a goodbye letter to Canadians at CTV.ca, noting “it’s been a wonderful ride.” Indeed. Look forward to the memoir he has in the works.

3. Calvin Locke

The singer/songwriter is about halfway through a 100-Day Tour across Canada to raise funds and build awareness for children’s cancer charities. He doesn’t have any gigs booked, but plays spontaneous gigs in random places out of his ’87 Chevrolet Beauville van. Follow Locke’s amazing journey on Twitter @calvinlocke or his website IPlayMusicForPeople.com.

3. Sebastian Bach & Irene
Bach’s New Jersey home that was once featured on MTV Cribs was destroyed during Hurricane Irene. He said on his Facebook page, “I will always love New Jersey but now there is literally nothing left for me here except memories of a past life. Hello, Los Angeles. Hello, New Life.”  Uh, Sebastian, not to dissuade you, but have you heard that Cali gets the occasional earthquake?

4. Space Oddity Children’s Book
Canadian illustrator Andrew Kolb has given modern love to a David Bowie song by creating a “concept book” for kids (it could also be a avant-garde coffee table book for adults) based on his classic space epic, Space Oddity. It’s a really neat idea, imagining Bowie’s song in visuals as Kolb does. You can download it for free at KolbIsNeat.com. No word on whether Bowie has.

5.  Prof Quits Over Parking Spot
Dalhousie University prof Dan Middlemiss quit his job in frustration at the Halifax school after 30 years of teaching because of a severe shortage of parking spaces, a problem that has apparently been ongoing. I once wrote an article for my high school newspaper on my school’s parking problems called “The Pain of Parking At Adam Scott.” But I didn’t quit being a student. My parents wouldn’t let me.

6. TIFF
The 36th Toronto International Film Festival starts next week, running Sept. 8th through the 18th. There are sure to be some remarkable movies, but make no mistake: this is just as much about the A-list star power. The red carpet biz will be booming, welcoming the likes of George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Salma Hayek and Bono. Toronto will be TMZed all week.  

7.  iPad Made Of Wood
A woman in South Carolina purchased an iPad from two men in a McDonald’s parking lot at a discounted rate. When she later opened the FedEx box it was in, she discovered it was just a block of wood with an Apple logo painted on it. Lesson learned: If you’re approached  in a McDonald’s parking lot about buying an iPad, first make sure it’s actually an iPad and not just a piece of wood painted black with an Apple logo.  

8.  Beyonce’s Twitter Record
Beyonce’s baby bump reveal at the end of her MTV Video Music Awards performance caused quite a stir on social media, breaking a new Twitter record with 8,868 tweets per second. Just wait till Kim Kardashian announces she’s pregnant with Kris Humphries’ baby to her nine million followers.

Metro Editors: http://www.toronto.com/article/696786

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
International

Hurricane Odile batters Mexico's Baja resorts, sparks looting

Hurricane Odile injured dozens of people, forced the evacuation of thousands and smashed shops open to looters in the popular tourist area of Baja, Mexico.

National

Apple iPhone 6 pre-orders hit record 4 million…

By Lehar Maan(Reuters) - Apple Inc said many customers will need to wait until next month for their new iPhones after a record 4 million…

National

LAPD investigates complaint from detained 'Django' actress

The LAPD is investigating after "Django Unchained" actress Daniele Watts accused police of violating her rights when they detained her.

Local

Number of New York City smokers increase, topping…

For the first time since 2007, there are  more than one million smokers in New York City, according to the New York City Department of…

Movies

Newsflash: Corey Stoll is still not a man

In director Shaun Levy's "This Is Where I Leave You," Corey Stoll stars as the oldest of four adult children (the others are played by…

Movies

If you don't like Simon Pegg's new film,…

Simon Pegg goes all out in "Hector and the Search for Happiness" as the titular psychiatrist stymied by modern life who embarks on a globetrotting…

Arts

Art in Chelsea: Don't miss these 3 galleries

We selected three sure bets for seeing cool art in the galleries of Chelsea.

Music

Robin Thicke blurs lines further with new 'Blurred…

"The reality is," said Robin Thicke about "Blurred Lines" in a court deposition, "Pharrell had the beat and he wrote almost every single part of the song."

NFL

Tom Coughlin says Giants 'beat themselves' against Cardinals

Head coach Tom Coughlin, who had a day to cool off and reflect, still sounded like he had a gnawing feeling in his gut.

NFL

Marty Mornhinweg accepts blame for Jets timeout fiasco

Jets fans looking for a scapegoat for Sunday’s timeout fiasco found a willing party on Monday: Marty Mornhinweg.

NFL

3 things we learned in Jets loss to…

The wheels came off for the Jets, who gave up 21 unanswered points after a brilliant first 20 minutes in a 31-24 loss at the Packers.

NFL

Victor Cruz catches case of the drops in…

The Giants dropped a tough, 25-14, decision to the undermanned Cardinals Sunday in their home opener. And drop was the operative word of the day,…

Travel

World's most hipster cities: Top 5

Travel blogger Adam Groffman tells us his picks for the Top 5 most hipster cities in the world.

Education

The top 5 regrets recent high school grads…

College application season can seem like a blur for many students - as test prep, campus visits and filling out a seemingly endless stream of…

Parenting

Tech execs tend to limit their kids' screen…

You probably got your iPad before Bill Gates's kids did.

Wellbeing

Wellbeing: Daybreaker returns, Ray Rice jersey trade, Sweet…

Now that Ray Rice is no longer with the Baltimore Ravens — or any other NFL team — after video footage surfaced showing him…