A trashed house and an inspiring tour

1.  Wade Belak
Another NHL enforcer died this week — the third this summer — but no one saw this coming. Belak seemed like the happiest, funniest, most self-deprecating dude around. Everyone liked him. He lived in my old hood for a while and every time you saw him with his wife and daughters, he was smiling. That’s what people will remember most about the big boy from Saskatchewan. His big, permanent smile.

2. Lloyd Robertson Says Goodbye

Lloyd Robertson, “Canada’s most trusted newscaster,” signed off as CTV anchorman last night after 35 years at CTV, and 60 years in broadcasting. Lloyd, who covered the first moon landing, JFK’s assassination, the fall of the Berlin Wall and 9/11, wrote a goodbye letter to Canadians at CTV.ca, noting “it’s been a wonderful ride.” Indeed. Look forward to the memoir he has in the works.

3. Calvin Locke

The singer/songwriter is about halfway through a 100-Day Tour across Canada to raise funds and build awareness for children’s cancer charities. He doesn’t have any gigs booked, but plays spontaneous gigs in random places out of his ’87 Chevrolet Beauville van. Follow Locke’s amazing journey on Twitter @calvinlocke or his website IPlayMusicForPeople.com.

3. Sebastian Bach & Irene
Bach’s New Jersey home that was once featured on MTV Cribs was destroyed during Hurricane Irene. He said on his Facebook page, “I will always love New Jersey but now there is literally nothing left for me here except memories of a past life. Hello, Los Angeles. Hello, New Life.”  Uh, Sebastian, not to dissuade you, but have you heard that Cali gets the occasional earthquake?

4. Space Oddity Children’s Book
Canadian illustrator Andrew Kolb has given modern love to a David Bowie song by creating a “concept book” for kids (it could also be a avant-garde coffee table book for adults) based on his classic space epic, Space Oddity. It’s a really neat idea, imagining Bowie’s song in visuals as Kolb does. You can download it for free at KolbIsNeat.com. No word on whether Bowie has.

5.  Prof Quits Over Parking Spot
Dalhousie University prof Dan Middlemiss quit his job in frustration at the Halifax school after 30 years of teaching because of a severe shortage of parking spaces, a problem that has apparently been ongoing. I once wrote an article for my high school newspaper on my school’s parking problems called “The Pain of Parking At Adam Scott.” But I didn’t quit being a student. My parents wouldn’t let me.

6. TIFF
The 36th Toronto International Film Festival starts next week, running Sept. 8th through the 18th. There are sure to be some remarkable movies, but make no mistake: this is just as much about the A-list star power. The red carpet biz will be booming, welcoming the likes of George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Salma Hayek and Bono. Toronto will be TMZed all week.  

7.  iPad Made Of Wood
A woman in South Carolina purchased an iPad from two men in a McDonald’s parking lot at a discounted rate. When she later opened the FedEx box it was in, she discovered it was just a block of wood with an Apple logo painted on it. Lesson learned: If you’re approached  in a McDonald’s parking lot about buying an iPad, first make sure it’s actually an iPad and not just a piece of wood painted black with an Apple logo.  

8.  Beyonce’s Twitter Record
Beyonce’s baby bump reveal at the end of her MTV Video Music Awards performance caused quite a stir on social media, breaking a new Twitter record with 8,868 tweets per second. Just wait till Kim Kardashian announces she’s pregnant with Kris Humphries’ baby to her nine million followers.

Metro Editors: http://www.toronto.com/article/696786

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

FDNY debuts new fire simulator for blazes at…

The New York City Fire Department christened its newest, state-of-the-art, custom-built simulator at its training academy on Randall's Island Tuesday.

Local

Bronx cop saves baby who stopped breathing

A Bronx police officer is credited with saving the life of a 2-month-old baby who stopped breathing Tuesday morning. Police Officer Johnny Castillo, 38, was…

Local

Brewer celebrates Women's Equality Day with voter pledge

Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer celebrated Women’s Equality Day Tuesday by pledging to register at least five women voters before the Oct. 10 deadline. Brewer…

Local

NYPD looking for lewd D train rider

The NYPD is enlisting the public’s help to find a man they say performed a lewd act on the D train Saturday evening. The incident…

Television

'Pretty Little Liars' recap: Season 5, Episode 12,…

If you've wondered whether Ali and Bethany knew each other, you got an answer tonight: Yes, and in a very tangled way. But many lingering…

Entertainment

Cymbals Eat Guitars Have Everything to 'LOSE'

At its most basic level, a rock band can be thought of as a family, a group of people selflessly devoted to a cause. When…

Entertainment

"Bachelor in Paradise" recap: Episode 4, 'Week Four'

Some things are hard to watch in a “Human Centipede” sort of way. Other things in an “American History X” sort of way. Does “Bachelor…

Movies

Fall Movie Preview: 10 films to see this…

Despite being awards season, the next four months bring a glut of remakes, rehashes and sequels. Here are 10 that should be better worth your time.

College

When are 2014 college football playoffs? (Schedule, date,…

When and where are 2014 college football playoffs? A look at the schedule, date, TV, time for the semi-finals at championship game.

NFL

Dimitri Patterson suspended only for rest of preseason…

Dimitri Patterson ended up getting just a slap on the wrist.

Sports

Eugenie Bouchard excited for 'rowdy' fans at US…

Eugenie Bouchard is sure to endear herself to New York's tennis faithful as she tries to win her first grand slam title across the next two weeks.

MLB

MLB Power Rankings: Angels and A's still at…

MLB Power Rankings: Angels and A's still at top, Nationals climb

Wellbeing

Who is having the most orgasms?

Single lesbians report having orgasms more often than heterosexual women but both gay and straight men still come out on top of the climax…

Home

Jonathan Adler shares his tips for a great…

Jonathan Adler took a break from boogie boarding at his beach house to tell us how to keep that Labor Day party festive.

Travel

Most popular Labor Day weekend destinations

Priceline.com released its Top 20 destinations for the end of summer, including Labor Day weekend. If you’re heading to any of these spots, expect a…

Wellbeing

Working your way to type 2 diabetes: Job…

When it comes to type 2 diabetes, a stressful job can be as risky for your health as a bad diet and no exercise. A…