Metro enjoys double-digit increase in readership across Canada
Toronto, March 29th, 2012 – Sharing quality news for free, at the right time, in the right place, and in the right format continues to be the recipe for success at Metro, which grew in all 7 markets in which it was measured, according to results released today by the Newspaper Audience Databank (NADbank).
Metro Canada now reaches 1,492,700 daily and 3,388,900 weekly readers coast-to-coast in Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. In comparison to NADbank 2010 results, this represents an increase of 129,700 readers, or +10%, daily and 372,100, or 11%, weekly readers. These latest results show that Metro Canada continues to reach more adults 18+ than the Globe and Mail and National Post combined.*
“The NADbank results confirm Metro’s leadership as the daily newspaper of choice for YAMs (youthful, active, metropolitans)”; says Bill McDonald, President & Publisher of Metro English Canada. “And with the launch of two new editions in Saskatoon and Regina, a year under our belts in Winnipeg and London, our increasing local news force in each market, an expanding distribution network, and a multi-million-dollar ad campaign set to launch coast-to-coast, we anticipate our national reach will continue to grow well into the future.”
Highlights from Metro Canada’s 2011 readership results compared to 2010 include:
- Double digit growth in four Metro markets
- Halifax grew a whopping 40% year-over-year! Now more than one in five Haligonians reads Metro every day and one in two read it every week.
- Edmonton grew 31%, adding more daily readers than any other paper in the market.
- Vancouver grew 27%, with more new readers than all the other dailies combined.
- Ottawa grew 13%, adding more daily readers than any other paper in the market.
- Toronto held on to its position as the #2 daily in the market, second only to The Toronto Star.
- Calgary picked up more weekly readers than any other paper in the market.
SOURCE: NADbank 2011, NADbank 2010; Halifax EMA, Montreal CMA, Ottawa-Gatineau CMA, Toronto EMA, Calgary CMA, Edmonton CMA, Vancouver CMA; weekly refers to 5-day CUME, daily refers to “read yesterday”;*National Post and Globe and Mail combined weekday reach is 975,900, 7-market summary