Princeton Review ranks area colleges as best in financial aid, diversity

Penn State is tops in health services and for their campus newspaper.

The Princeton Review’s annual college rankings list has just been released, and several local colleges and universities appear on it — both in categories they’ll want to brag about and others they’ll need to explain.

Here are some local results:

Princeton University was #1 on the list for great financial aid, and #3 on the list of best values for private colleges. Swarthmore College, which was #2 on the best value list, was #4 on the list of schools with great financial aid. Schools where the financial aid is not so great include Penn State (#2), University of Delaware (#4) and Villanova University (#8).

Princeton was #6 on the list of schools whose students study the most; Haverford College was #10 on that list. The school with the best classroom experience was Swarthmore, at #1.

Swarthmore and Haverford’s sister school, Bryn Mawr, scored #9 on two lists, best dorms and best food.

Penn State did well on several lists, including best career services (#2) and best health services (#1). They were also #1 for best campus newspaper. They were #4 among jock schools and #11 among party schools.

Temple University has a #2 spot on the list of schools with lots of interaction among people of different races and classes. Among the schools with the least interaction was Villanova, at #9.

The Princeton Review survey covers only 377 schools — about 15 percent of the four-year schools in the U.S. Although they provide the top 20 schools in each of 62 different categories, there is no overall list of “best schools.” They explain: “The fact is no one school is, in all subjects, for all majors, for all students, the academically best in the nation. It’s not which school is best academically (there’s no such thing) but which school is best for you that’s important.”

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Tattooed, bearded suspect sought in Williamsburg bike theft:…

The suspected thief faces grand larceny charges after investigators said he entered the building on North 5th Street in Williamsburg.

Local

Report: Rich New Yorkers don't move from NYC…

An Independent Budget Office analysis found that the wealthiest residents don't move out of the city any more or less than other New Yorkers.

National

Pioneers for domestic violence push on

Reporter was commissioned to write this in-depth article. Two decades have passed since the O.J. Simpson trial captivated the country. But in the 20 years…

Local

Food truck with a mission hires at-risk New…

A group branding itself as food trucks for social justice specifically hires and trains young men and women with troubled pasts.

Movies

Scarlett Johansson on 'Lucy':' 'I guess I’m the…

Scarlett Johansson continues her foray into action movies with thriller “Lucy”, admitting it’s been an unexpected adventure.

Movies

Review: Liking Woody Allen's 'Magic in the Moonlight'…

Woody Allen's latest, "Magic in the Moonlight," concerns a magician (Colin Firth) trying to debunk an alleged psychic (Emma Stone).

Movies

Piano from 'Casablanca' up for sale at auction

An iconic piano featured in Rick's Cafe Americain in the 1942 Hollywood classic "Casablanca" is expected to be the highlight of a sale of film…

Music

Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks more accessible than Animal…

Believe it or not, Avey Tare — the man in the mustachioed mask pictured here in the pool of blood — may have made the poppiest music of his career.

NFL

5 players to watch at Giants training camp

Metro takes a look at five players who will be on everyone’s mind when Giants training camp gets underway.

NFL

'Vicktory dogs' travel road to rehabilitation seven years…

Of the dozens of dogs groomed by Bad Newz Kennels, 48 were rescued and 22 of the pit bull terriers have emerged at Best Friends Animal Society.

MLB

Yankees looking at trade for Cliff Lee, according…

Yankees looking at trade for Cliff Lee, according to report

NFL

Giants lineman Chris Snee to retire: Reports

The Giants report to training camp on Tuesday, but Chris Snee may not be there when they do.

Parenting

Buy gently worn back-to-school clothes with Kidizen

Kidizen allows parents to buy and sell gently worn back-to-school clothes.

Wellbeing

Ruling could be beginning of the end for…

This morning, a federal appeals court threw out an IRS regulation that implements subsidies for low-income Americans who bought insurance through Obamacare. These Affordable Care…

Tech

RocketSkates let users roll with a motor

Los Angeles company Acton has raised funds on Kickstarter to roll out a nifty alternative – motor-powered "RocketSkates."

Tech

Knicks star Carmelo Anthony becomes a tech entrepreneur

He's been an All-Star, an Olympian, and a celebrity spokesperson. Now NBA player Carmelo Anthony is adding the position "tech entrepreneur" to his resume. Along…