Princeton Review ranks area colleges as best in financial aid, diversity

Penn State is tops in health services and for their campus newspaper.

The Princeton Review’s annual college rankings list has just been released, and several local colleges and universities appear on it — both in categories they’ll want to brag about and others they’ll need to explain.

Here are some local results:

Princeton University was #1 on the list for great financial aid, and #3 on the list of best values for private colleges. Swarthmore College, which was #2 on the best value list, was #4 on the list of schools with great financial aid. Schools where the financial aid is not so great include Penn State (#2), University of Delaware (#4) and Villanova University (#8).

Princeton was #6 on the list of schools whose students study the most; Haverford College was #10 on that list. The school with the best classroom experience was Swarthmore, at #1.

Swarthmore and Haverford’s sister school, Bryn Mawr, scored #9 on two lists, best dorms and best food.

Penn State did well on several lists, including best career services (#2) and best health services (#1). They were also #1 for best campus newspaper. They were #4 among jock schools and #11 among party schools.

Temple University has a #2 spot on the list of schools with lots of interaction among people of different races and classes. Among the schools with the least interaction was Villanova, at #9.

The Princeton Review survey covers only 377 schools — about 15 percent of the four-year schools in the U.S. Although they provide the top 20 schools in each of 62 different categories, there is no overall list of “best schools.” They explain: “The fact is no one school is, in all subjects, for all majors, for all students, the academically best in the nation. It’s not which school is best academically (there’s no such thing) but which school is best for you that’s important.”

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
National

At 91, Marvel creator Stan Lee continues to…

By Piya Sinha-RoyLOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Marvel Entertainment's chief emeritus Stan Lee may be in his ninth decade, but it hasn't stopped him from adding…

National

Islamic State says beheads U.S. journalist, holds another

Islamic State insurgents released a video purportedly showing the beheading of U.S. journalist James Foley, who had gone missing in Syria nearly two years ago.

Local

VIDEO: NYPD seeks shooter in East New York…

Cops are on the lookout for an unknown shooter who aimed and missed hitting a man on a bicycle, instead nearly striking a nearby officer in East New York.

Local

NYS state forces thrift shops comply with ban…

Nine New York City thrift shops were reprimanded by the state attorney general for selling children's clothes with drawstrings around the neck and waist.

Television

'Pretty Little Liars' recap: Season 5, Episode 11,…

Caleb's not a ghost. Spencer might still be an attempted murderer. And Hanna's going to die next week. In other words, we actually got some…

Movies

Marvel Entertainment's Stan Lee is adding outposts to his creative empire to interest a new generation of children in super heroes of all shapes and sizes.

Television

Mira Sorvino explores immortality on 'Intruders'

Mira Sorvino's new show "Intruders" centers around a secret society that achieves immortality by taking over the bodies of other people.

Television

5 things you need to know about new…

"Doctor Who" returns Saturday with a new star, Peter Capaldi. Here's some things to know about him (mainly his turn as sweary spin doctor Malcolm Tucker).

MLB

Shane Greene travels unlikely road to Yankees stardom

Shane Greene was throwing a bullpen session on a quiet field at Daytona Beach Community College one day when the ball started moving.

NFL

2014 Fantasy Football: Rankings, list of top NFL…

2014 Fantasy Football: Rankings, list of top NFL tight ends (TE)

MLB

MLB Power Rankings: Angels supplant A's, Nationals climb

NFL

David Wilson returns to triple jump, sets sights…

Giants fans know David Wilson can jump. They are just more used to seeing him go for backflips, not distance.

Style

11 timeless gifts for registries or just because

Gifts to prove you're a style maven once and for all.

Parenting

How everyday moments can inspire kids' creativity

"The Artist's Way for Parents" author Julia Cameron gives advice on how parents and children can be creative together.

Tech

How to stay safe online

Stop worrying about keeping your online passwords safe, and start worrying about keeping your username a secret. Actually, worry about both. According to Shaun Murphy…

Tech

OpenTable now lets you pay your bill via…

The restaurant app OpenTable added the ability to pay your bill (and tip) with your phone, thus cutting back on a few dining annoyances.