BU fraternity suspended after student’s death

anthony barksdale boston boston university bu
Anthony Barksdale II. (Photo courtesy Boston University)

The Boston University chapter of the Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity has been suspended by its national headquarters and the university, following the death of a freshman member.

19-year-old Anthony Barksdale II was found unconscious early Saturday morning at an apartment on Wadsworth St. in Allston, where an SAM party was held the night before. EMS transported Barksdale to St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, where he died.

According to BU Today, Alex Cuetara, president of SAM at BU, told Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore a “meet and greet” was held to welcome six new members into the fraternity, Barksdale among them. About 46 people attended the party.

“The national organization actually suspended BU’s chapter based upon what they believed was information that Sigma Alpha Mu, at an off-campus location, a private residence, held a fraternity function that involved underage drinking where someone who was severely intoxicated was taken out of the space,” Elmore told the Daily Free Press, BU’s student newspaper.

Leland Manders, executive director of the fraternity’s national organization, met with Elmore Monday afternoon.

“We need to find out what happened on Friday evening and determine if there was a policy violation and how bad that violation may have been,” Manders told BU Today. “We will work in partnership with the University offices to determine if the chapter can continue in the future and under what circumstances it continues.”

University officials and Boston Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding Barksdale’s death. Toxicology results are pending, but the Suffolk district attorney’s offices says a preliminary autopsy shows no signs of physical violence.

Barksdale graduated from Souhegan High School in Amherst, N.H., last year, where he earned awards in basketball and academics.

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

NYPD looking for man they say assaulted elderly…

The New York City Police Department is asking for the public's assistance in locating a Hispanic male 20's wanted in connection with…

Local

Three arrested after allegedly assaulting off-duty officer in…

Three men were arrested early Saturday morning after allegedly assaulting an off-duty officer at a Bronx bodega, and the NYPD is asking for the public's…

Local

Healthcare union creates vibrant West Indian Day Parade…

Volunteers worked almost around the clock through the weekend, putting the flashy finishing touches on hundreds of costume pieces 1199SEIU members will wear while marching…

National

Top 10 most hipster college campuses

Hipsters are everywhere these days. You can't walk down the anywhere anymore without seeing a pair of skinny jeans on a handlebar mustachioed 20-something, a…

Television

TV watch list, Tuesday, Sep. 3: 'Houdini,' 'Colbert'…

Watch "Homeland" star Mandy Patinkin on "The Colbert Report."

Music

Lincoln Center just made 'Lord of the Rings'…

Middle Earth already has sweeping vistas, a hero's journey and technology-revolutionizing special effects. But next April, the Lincoln Center will add another dimension to Peter Jackson's…

Gossip

Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth apparently love each…

Miley Cyrus may have broken off her engagement to Liam Hemsworth almost a year ago, but that doesn't mean she doesn't still have feelings for…

The Word

The Word: Charlize Theron isn't perfect, so stop…

We've been thinking a lot about famous women's bodies this week, obviously, so here's some food for thought to go with all that virtual ogling.…

Sports

Novak Djokovic feeds off US Open crowd to…

Novak Djokovic isn't a native New Yorker, but he sure knows how to use the U.S. Open crowd to his advantage.

NFL

Odell Beckham still 'weeks away,' Tom Coughlin angry…

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin has fought a losing battle against the media all preseason over the status of wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.

NFL

3 things we learned in the Giants preseason…

The final score didn’t matter — a 16-13 win by the Giants — but it would’ve been nice to finally see Big Blue’s new-look offense get on track.

NFL

NFL Power Rankings: Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots, 49ers start…

NFL Power Rankings: Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots start at top

Wellbeing

Today's Doomsday preppers: a closer look at survivalist…

Reporter was commissioned to write this in-depth article. The term “Doomsday prepper” is often associated with the paranoid, anti-government stereotype of the 1990s. The truth…

Education

These college students think breakfast is the most…

It should be no surprise that the city that never sleeps is also home to the most students who like to order food in…

Sex

When it comes to dating, height matters

Does a man’s height really matter when it comes to dating? Unfortunately - according to a new study - the answer looks like it’s yes.…

Style

5 minutes with..Rebecca Minkoff

Rebecca Minkoff on her Spring '15 show.