(Updated) MIT email canceling classes called a hoax

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The hoax email appeared to have been sent by the president of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Some members of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology community got a rude surprise early Wednesday when an email supposedly sent from the school’s president canceling classes was instead revealed to be a hoax.

MIT said that just after 1 a.m. some members of the school were sent an email that pretended to be from President L. Rafael Reif and appeared to be addressed to the entire community.  

“The email stated that President Reif had decided to cancel classes today. The email was a hoax: Classes are not canceled, and the institute will operate as usual today,” MIT said in a statement.

According to The Tech, the student newspaper, the hoax email made a connection to the Aaron Swartz situation.

“I am writing to explain an important step that MIT has decided to take relating to the Aaron Swartz situation. Since this action affects members of our community, directly or indirectly, I want you to hear about it from me,” the hoax email said. “MIT has received several threatening requests in the media. Based on my initial reports, I believe it is best that we cancel classes for tomorrow.”

In its statement, the school said that at 4 a.m. a vice president sent an email to the community alerting people of the hoax e-mail and confirming that classes would take place as scheduled.

The Tech said the hoax email had been sent to more than 100 people.

When asked about Asparouhov’s status, a school spokeswoman said internal disciplinary proceedings and decision are confidential.

Suddenly sorry
In an online posting, sophomore Delian Asparouhov took credit for the hoax email.

Within hours after sending the prank, Asparouhov offered an apology on his webpage.

“Earlier today I sent out an email to most of MIT which alluded to a very controversial situation and spoofed as if it was sent from the president of MIT. This email produced fear and caused many people to be angry that someone would take such a serious matter so lightly. I’d like to apologize for the damage I caused to the MIT community, especially in light of the recent events that have caused large amounts of strife, which I only added to,” Asparouhov wrote.

Follow Michael Naughton on Twitter @metrobosmike.

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Police seek mother of slain 11-year-old on involuntary…

Police are seeking the mother of an 11-year-old girl who was accidentally shot to death by her 2-year-old brother two weeks ago on involuntary manslaughter…

Local

Chestnut Hill College student found dead Wednesday morning

A 22-year-0ld Chestnut Hill College student was found dead this morning inside a college dormitory, police said.

International

Nearly 300 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes

Almost 300 people were missing after a ferry capsized off South Korea Wednesday, in what could be the country's biggest maritime disaster in over 20 years.

News

Explosions in new Boston Marathon bomb panic, 'twisted'…

A fresh Boston Marathon terror alert, which caused Bomb Squad officers to order an evacuation while two controlled explosions were carried out, was today being…

Books

Becoming friends with New York City's oldest known…

"The Life and Times of Richard Musto" tells the story, through a poem, of the oldest known homeless man in New York City.

Going Out

Get down and dirty at these neighborhood dives

Philly's got its share of innovative gastropubs and seen-and-be-seen drinking establishments with inventive cocktails served in mason jars. But sometimes we just want a shot…

Movies

Interview: Johnny Depp says he looks like himself,…

Johnny Depp talks about his new sci-fi thriller "Transcendence," not wearing gaudy makeup and wigs for a change and how he's a bit of a Luddite.

Movies

Review: 'Heaven is for Real' tries to be…

The mega-bestseller "Heaven is for Real" becomes a movie that tries to portray wrestling with faith — or at least it tries to try.

NHL

Top 5 Philadelphia storylines for Flyers-Rangers

The slate is clean for the Flyers and the Rangers. Which is good news for the Flyers.

U.S. Soccer

Andrew Wenger has big shoes to fill on…

Lancaster County native Andrew Wenger will feel pressure to fill the shoes of departer forward Jack McInerney.

NBA

NBA Power Rankings: Are the Spurs frauds? Could…

NBA Power Rankings: Are the Spurs frauds? Could the Mavericks surprise?

NBA

Sixers, Michael Carter-Williams give fans a happy ending…

The 2013-14 season for the 76ers has nearly come to a close.

Tech

5 surprising facts about Google Glass

Your sex life could get more interesting.

Wellbeing

Cognitive skills begin to drop at age 24

But the news isn't all that bad.

Career

How to get a job at a startup:…

We talked to Tarek Pertew, one of the co-founders behind Uncubed, about how to get your dream job at a startup.

Parenting

The 'smartest' summer camps across the country

See a list of summer camps across the country that emphasis learning, while still being fun.