Boston College threatens students for condom distribution

A Boston College student group is in trouble for handing out condoms on campus. (Photo courtesy peachy92/Flickr)
A Boston College student group is in trouble for handing out condoms on campus. Credit: peachy92/Flickr

A group of Boston College students is being threatened with disciplinary action for distributing free condoms from their dorm rooms, which the university calls a violation of school policy.

Boston College Students for Sexual Health operates more than a dozen campus “safe sites”: dorm rooms and other locations where students can receive condoms and information on safe sex.

Earlier this month, Dean of Students Paul J. Chebator and Director of Residence Life George Arey sent a letter to the students living in those rooms.

“We would call your attention to the BC student guide which indicates that Boston College students have ‘the responsibility to respect the values and traditions of Boston College as a Jesuit, Catholic institution.’ The distribution of condoms is not congruent with our values and traditions,” the letter read, according to BC’s student newspaper, The Heights.

“While we understand that you may not be intentionally violating university policy, we do need to advise you that should we receive any reports that you are, in fact, distributing condoms on campus, the matter would be referred to the student conduct office for disciplinary action,” the letter continued.

The group’s chairwoman, Lizzie Jekanowski, told the Boston Globe that the university has known for more than two years that the group, which is not officially recognized by the school, gives out condoms.

“Young people have a right to the health care services and information that will allow them to make the best decisions for their health,” Jekanowski said in a press release. “By banning the distribution of condoms on campus, even in the privacy of students’ own dorm rooms, Boston College leaves a dangerous void in student health education, resources, and programming.”

The group contacted the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts after receiving the letter. Staff attorney Sarah Wunsch said she’ll take legal action if BC doesn’t reconsider its threat, which she called “entirely inappropriate.”

“I am very disturbed, and the students have rights that are at stake here,” Wunsch told the Globe. “We’re up to a fight, if they are up for a fight. But we’d rather not fight about this.”

BC spokesman Jack Dunn said the school has invited the students “to meet with administrators and members of the Jesuit community to discuss this issue in a respectful, constructive format.”

“As a Jesuit, Catholic university, there are certain Catholic commitments that Boston ­College is called to uphold,” Dunn wrote in an email to the Globe. “We ask our students to respect these commitments, particularly as they pertain to Catholic ­social teaching on the sanctity of life.”

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

MTA announces service changes for Sunday

The MTA has announced service changes ahead of Sunday's People's Climate March, which will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday. Riders using…

Local

NYPD launches Twitter account for L train

The NYPD recently launched a Twitter handle dedicated to the L train and its riders. According to @NYPDLtrain, officers went underground Thursday morning to hand…

Local

Bushwick community space offers activists a place to…

A new Bushwick community space offers community activists to meet, create, learn and throw back a few cold ones. MayDay, located 214 Starr Street in Bushwick,…

Local

Activists gearing up for Sunday's "historic" People's Climate…

If all goes according to plan, more than 100,000 people will gather near Central Park West on Sunday morning and march through midtown to raise…

Movies

Review: Terry Gilliam's 'The Zero Theorem' is better…

Terry Gilliam's latest, "The Zero Theorem," concerns a reclusive malcontent (Christoph Waltz) struggling with the search for the meaning of life.

Music

Esperanza Spalding and a being called Emily get…

Esperanza Spalding is about to spiral off in a brand new direction that may or may include an alter ego named Emily.

Movies

Review: Bickering family dramedy 'This is Where I…

A talented cast sits Shiva in the bickering family dramedy "This is Where I Leave You," although it's more sap than yuks.

Movies

Review: Desert-walking movie 'Tracks' would be better as…

Mia Wasikowska walks 1700 miles across Australia's deserts in "Tracks," in a story that defies triumph-of-the-spirit cliches but gets some of them anyway.

NFL

J.J. Watt poses unique challenges to struggling Giants…

Watt, arguably the best defensive player in the league, is the leader of a surprising Texans (2-0) team that has already matched last season’s win total.

NFL

Eric Decker 'unlikely to play' against Bears: Source

Jets wide receiver Eric Decker's status for Monday night’s game against the Bears is in doubt after he missed practice again Wednesday.

NFL

Preston Parker, not Odell Beckham, will replace Jerrel…

Tom Coughlin noted the next man up will be unheralded veteran Preston Parker.

NFL

NFL Week 3 full schedule (kickoff time, TV)

Parenting

A sneaky way to serve kids fruits and…

"My First Juices and Smoothies" gives smoothie recipes for kids.

Style

3 things we love from Day 1 of…

The highlights from Day 1 of Milan Fashion Week.

Sex

Why don't more couples use condoms?

Call it the “condom moment.” That’s the name the authors of a new study have given to the pivotal conversation every couple should be…

Sex

Need an idea for a first date? Here's…

Picture your idea of a nice first date. Is it dinner and a movie? A visit to an interesting museum exhibit? Instead, an expert on…