Boston College threatens students for condom distribution

A Boston College student group is in trouble for handing out condoms on campus. (Photo courtesy peachy92/Flickr)
A Boston College student group is in trouble for handing out condoms on campus. Credit: peachy92/Flickr

A group of Boston College students is being threatened with disciplinary action for distributing free condoms from their dorm rooms, which the university calls a violation of school policy.

Boston College Students for Sexual Health operates more than a dozen campus “safe sites”: dorm rooms and other locations where students can receive condoms and information on safe sex.

Earlier this month, Dean of Students Paul J. Chebator and Director of Residence Life George Arey sent a letter to the students living in those rooms.

“We would call your attention to the BC student guide which indicates that Boston College students have ‘the responsibility to respect the values and traditions of Boston College as a Jesuit, Catholic institution.’ The distribution of condoms is not congruent with our values and traditions,” the letter read, according to BC’s student newspaper, The Heights.

“While we understand that you may not be intentionally violating university policy, we do need to advise you that should we receive any reports that you are, in fact, distributing condoms on campus, the matter would be referred to the student conduct office for disciplinary action,” the letter continued.

The group’s chairwoman, Lizzie Jekanowski, told the Boston Globe that the university has known for more than two years that the group, which is not officially recognized by the school, gives out condoms.

“Young people have a right to the health care services and information that will allow them to make the best decisions for their health,” Jekanowski said in a press release. “By banning the distribution of condoms on campus, even in the privacy of students’ own dorm rooms, Boston College leaves a dangerous void in student health education, resources, and programming.”

The group contacted the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts after receiving the letter. Staff attorney Sarah Wunsch said she’ll take legal action if BC doesn’t reconsider its threat, which she called “entirely inappropriate.”

“I am very disturbed, and the students have rights that are at stake here,” Wunsch told the Globe. “We’re up to a fight, if they are up for a fight. But we’d rather not fight about this.”

BC spokesman Jack Dunn said the school has invited the students “to meet with administrators and members of the Jesuit community to discuss this issue in a respectful, constructive format.”

“As a Jesuit, Catholic university, there are certain Catholic commitments that Boston ­College is called to uphold,” Dunn wrote in an email to the Globe. “We ask our students to respect these commitments, particularly as they pertain to Catholic ­social teaching on the sanctity of life.”

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
National

Mutant worms stay sober, even on alcohol

U.S. researchers have developed "mutant worms" that do not get drunk by alcohol, a breakthrough that could lead to new treatment for people trying to quit drinking

Local

K-9 nose helps capture $150K in cocaine at…

A furry, four-legged security agent helped authorities stop an illegal cocaine shipment from sneaking past JFK customs.

National

Minnesota man asked to leave Southwest flight after…

A man and his two sons were asked to leave a Southwest Airlines flight after the man sent a tweet complaining about being treated rudely by a gate agent.

National

Man sues hospital after surprise penis amputation

An Alabama man who went in to a hospital last month for a circumcision awoke after surgery to find his penis had been amputated, his lawyer said on Thursday.

Movies

Review: Brett Ratner's big 'Hercules' movie is small…

The latest "Hercules," starring Dwayne Johnson as the half-god beefcake of Greek myth, strips its hero and tale of most of its fantastical elements.

Arts

Scientists recreate world's smallest Monet copy

Scientists have reproduced a famous Impressionist painting using nano-printing, to create what has been described as the world's smallest work of art. Reworked at the…

Television

Jerry Seinfeld is ambidextrous, and other Reddit AMA…

See some of the weirder highlights of Jerry Seinfeld's recent Reddit AMA.

Going Out

Grab a pedestrian and start dancing at What…

As a New Yorker, I’ve mastered the art of focusing my gaze straight ahead. Though it occasionally piques my interest, the absurdities that play out…

NFL

2014 NFL Fantasy Football Top 100 overall player…

2014 NFL Fantasy Football Top 100 overall player rankings

U.S. Soccer

NYCFC announce signing of Frank Lampard

The tease of a big signing Thursday by new MLS side NYCFC ended up being one rumored for weeks. England midfielder Frank Lampard agreed to…

NBA

NBA great LeBron James sends 800 cupcake apologies…

By Kim PalmerCLEVELAND (Reuters) - NBA star LeBron James, whose recent return to the Cleveland Cavaliers in his home state of Ohio sparked a frenzy…

NFL

Jerry Reese confident with Giants, skipping countdown clocks…

Last year, Giants GM Jerry Reese installed a countdown clock in the locker room to inspire Big Blue to play in their own stadium for Super Bowl XLVIII.

Tech

Forget Wi-Fi: Li-Fi could be the future

Li-Fi technology – developed by Mexican company Sisoft – is wireless internet connectivity using specialized LED light.

Tech

Weather app Climendo might be the most accurate…

The wait for a truly accurate weather forecast could finally be over thanks to a nifty new app called Climendo.

Tech

Napkin Table puts focus off the phone and…

Michael Jan, a design student at Tunghai University in Taiwan, has invented a serviette-picnic blanket hybrid called the Napkin Table.

Style

Essie's new Color Boutique

Essie launches high-tech kiosks at major airports and malls across the country.