Harvard dean behind email searches resigning

Harvard University searched the emails of its resident deans to find a whistle blower. Photo Credit: safrin.blogs.unhas.ac.id -
Harvard University searched the emails of its resident deans to find a whistle blower. Credit: safrin.blogs.unhas.ac.id

The dean of Harvard College, Evelynn Hammonds, announced Tuesday that she would step down this summer following months of controversy over her decision to authorize secret searches of faculty email.

Hammonds, who will remain a professor at the prestigious university, acknowledged giving conflicting accounts about her decision to scan the subject lines of email accounts belonging to 16 deans, in search of correspondence relating to a major cheating scandal among Harvard students.

She apologized to the faculty last month and acknowledged that the episode had eroded trust on campus.

Hammonds, who was the first African-American and the first woman to be appointed dean of Harvard College, did not refer to the cheating scandal or the email search in a brief statement issued Tuesday as she announced she would step down July 1. She had served as dean for five years.

“Being dean of Harvard College has been an immensely rewarding experience for me, but I miss engaging deeply with my scholarship and teaching,” Hammonds said.

Hammonds authorized two separate searches to try to identify the dean who leaked a confidential memo about a large student cheating case to reporters for the school newspaper, the Harvard Crimson. She said no emails were opened and no content was read, but acknowledged she had investigators scan the subject lines and search for the student reporters’ names. The deans were not notified of the search.

Her apology last month did not quell the anger on campus. The Crimson called for Hammonds’ resignation in an editorial that said her handling of the email searches “damages Harvard as an institution and as a community.”

Hammonds was also criticized for the slow pace of investigation into the cheating scandal. The first allegations that students had plagiarized and collaborated on a take-home final surfaced last spring, but it was not until this winter that the university announced about 60 students had been suspended and about 30 put on disciplinary probation.

A physicist and engineer by training, Hammonds said she will take a sabbatical, then return to Harvard to head up a new program looking at the role of race and gender in science and medicine.

Harvard President Drew Faust praised Hammonds in a statement, saying she had revitalized undergraduate programs and promoted “a culture of inclusion and community.”

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Tattooed, bearded suspect sought in Williamsburg bike theft:…

The suspected thief faces grand larceny charges after investigators said he entered the building on North 5th Street in Williamsburg.

Local

Report: Rich New Yorkers don't move from NYC…

An Independent Budget Office analysis found that the wealthiest residents don't move out of the city any more or less than other New Yorkers.

National

Pioneers for domestic violence push on

Reporter was commissioned to write this in-depth article. Two decades have passed since the O.J. Simpson trial captivated the country. But in the 20 years…

Local

Food truck with a mission hires at-risk New…

A group branding itself as food trucks for social justice specifically hires and trains young men and women with troubled pasts.

Entertainment

'Bachelorette' recap: Episode 10, 'Men Tell All'

Why does the #MenTellAll episode exist? Because they don’t, and it shouldn’t. Is it a lazy vehicle to sell more ad space? Is it to…

Television

Olivia Williams explains the ins and outs of…

Olivia Williams plays a botanist beginning to suspect her physicist husband's work on the Manhattan Project might be ominous in WGN America's "Manhattan."

Movies

Scarlett Johansson on 'Lucy':' 'I guess I’m the…

Scarlett Johansson continues her foray into action movies with thriller “Lucy”, admitting it’s been an unexpected adventure.

Movies

Review: Liking Woody Allen's 'Magic in the Moonlight'…

Woody Allen's latest, "Magic in the Moonlight," concerns a magician (Colin Firth) trying to debunk an alleged psychic (Emma Stone).

NFL

5 players to watch at Giants training camp

Metro takes a look at five players who will be on everyone’s mind when Giants training camp gets underway.

NFL

'Vicktory dogs' travel road to rehabilitation seven years…

Of the dozens of dogs groomed by Bad Newz Kennels, 48 were rescued and 22 of the pit bull terriers have emerged at Best Friends Animal Society.

MLB

Yankees looking at trade for Cliff Lee, according…

Yankees looking at trade for Cliff Lee, according to report

NFL

Giants lineman Chris Snee to retire: Reports

The Giants report to training camp on Tuesday, but Chris Snee may not be there when they do.

Parenting

Buy gently worn back-to-school clothes with Kidizen

Kidizen allows parents to buy and sell gently worn back-to-school clothes.

Wellbeing

Ruling could be beginning of the end for…

This morning, a federal appeals court threw out an IRS regulation that implements subsidies for low-income Americans who bought insurance through Obamacare. These Affordable Care…

Tech

RocketSkates let users roll with a motor

Los Angeles company Acton has raised funds on Kickstarter to roll out a nifty alternative – motor-powered "RocketSkates."

Tech

Knicks star Carmelo Anthony becomes a tech entrepreneur

He's been an All-Star, an Olympian, and a celebrity spokesperson. Now NBA player Carmelo Anthony is adding the position "tech entrepreneur" to his resume. Along…